Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Protonix has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Protonix
bad seed in your guild? shoot his dog!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM

peter is community member of note
does it really matter, in the end mmos arent worth squat irl. One day you will be enlightened about this fact and realize that playing a game in no way relates to running a business, and people will cause mayhem, quit, ignore you, anything, on a whim, because they can.

This is the era of the web where ambiguity is king and drama is queen.

Get over it and just play ffs.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:04 PM
GuildMaster of DC

Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Lindorn Send a message via MSN to Lindorn
Quote:
does it really matter, in the end mmos arent worth squat irl. One day you will be enlightened about this fact and realize that playing a game in no way relates to running a business, and people will cause mayhem, quit, ignore you, anything, on a whim, because they can.

Your post is filled with nothing but elitism and weak claims. The truth is that running a guild is very much like the business world, which is why already high level corporate job applications have had "WoW guild leader" listed on them. I read a news article on google earlier last year about this very thing. Dealing with people is PR. PR is related to business, marketing, human resources, etc. To say running a guild or even just being social online does not have real world application is ludicrous. If you run your guild like a business it can apply to the real world.

You cant keep clutching to the traditional idea that games are this nerdy niche that separates you from modern day society and have no real world professional application. The truth is MMORPG's develop social skills, teamwork, hand-eye coordination, critical thinking, problem solving, and comprehension. Already statistically one in 40 or so people you see on the street plays World of Warcraft, and in the coming years this number will increase as the MMORPG genre drives forward the entire gaming market.

Stop clutching your security blanket; the idea that guilds and social affairs online have no real world application, because the business world is already proving you wrong.

www.RevolutionG.com (Your source for the cutting edge in MMORPG thought and design. Want to make a difference? Now is your chance.)
Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Enthusiast

Varria has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Varria
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post

On the contrary, i have learned quite a bit about business and managing the aspects of supply and demand from playing MMORPG's. People WILL cause mayhem, and I have found 90% of them are under the age of 25 LOL (not all....) There is still the occassional "immature and honorless old fart" that just cant seem to grow up that falls into this category of jerks, but if yer observant, you can usually spot them a mile away.

Based on your comment here, I think yer one of the ones I wouldnt want in my guild, simply because you just dont seem to care about the real life effects your actions and comments have on people in game, and possibly here. I do understand you are expressing your opinion tho, and so am I. So good luck with your gaming.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Reality Escapist

LaiAhnaCharro is a jewel in the community LaiAhnaCharro is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to LaiAhnaCharro
Ok I have had several guilds. I found from experience that the council is good in some cases but not for all. ergo, I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythInc View Post
When I led my monarchy in AC1.. i was pretty quick to pull the /kick trigger.

Some people got one warning.. others got none.

My philosophy at the time simply had to do with what created the least amount of hassles for the guild and ultimately for me.
Just need to tell why when asked by other members. Generaly they will agree that I did the right thing.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM

Drenath has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
What to do about a “Bad Seed”?

This affects all guilds, large and small. That is one of the hard part’s of being a guild leader, when do you decide that a person is harming the guild as a whole more than he/she is helping the guild? Do you run a dictatorship or a democracy? The way a guild is set up can have a lot to do with how long it will last and how successful and prestigious it will be. How do you deal with the troublesome person when a problem first arises? How many chances are you going to give out? All of these are tough questions, if you let a bad seed stay in to long, it can begin to crumble the guild from the inside out planting seeds of discontent in the very core of the guild infecting players like a virus. So can you decipher which person has malicious intent before it is too late?

*Disclaimer* I have never run a guild, but have been a part of several and it seems the most effective are run by driven people with a strict set of guidelines. People have to be held accountable for breaking rules for a guild to be successful in my opinion. Thoughts and comments from actually guild leaders(That means you roxi!)
Give the person a public warning. The next step, while the person is on a very short leash, is the boot.

HoE is a well-known guild that's been around for over 4 years and that's how we run things. We tend to be pretty lax about rules and don't have many other than to just have a good time. We're extremely competitive and have been a dominating force on every server we've played. We rarely, if ever, recruit new members but we are not afraid to banish the few that are picked up if they cause problems.

It's pretty straightforward and everyone in the guild knows the way a problem will be handled. Each of the IC's is given equal power to that of the GL in the guild and our decisions are not second-guessed without a very good reason.

That policy has worked fantastically for years and every guild I've ever fought that gave us a good fight seems to have shared the same philosophy. Tight-knit, ultra-competitive guilds seem to have a lot in common and this is one of those things.

HoE IC and ISH
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
GuildMaster of DC

Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community Lindorn is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Lindorn Send a message via MSN to Lindorn
Yep in PvE your guild needs YOU. In PvP you need your guild.

www.RevolutionG.com (Your source for the cutting edge in MMORPG thought and design. Want to make a difference? Now is your chance.)
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 AM

Blasphemous has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Blasphemous Send a message via AIM to Blasphemous
I ran my guild for years with very few real problems within the guild. I'm not saying it was perfect, but its worked for almost 4 years now. The way I have always run it was to give everyone a voice. If the guildies were all complaining about someone, we gave them the boot. I only made one exception to that and it had extenuating circumstances.

What I found is that everyone wants to be a part of the team in a PvP guild. Everyone wants to feel like they play a vital role. Playing a vital role doesn't necessarily mean they run the PK groups or call targets or whatever. It means that when they say something or suggest something, we don't just dismiss it and everyone has a say in the direction the guild goes.

In the end, it's about doing what's in the best interest of the guild, it's morale and making sure everyone is having fun.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 AM

Blasphemous has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Blasphemous Send a message via AIM to Blasphemous
And of course manlove ;P
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 AM

Drenath has much to be proud of
True story. It's probably a big part of why OPP has enjoyed a lot of the same kind of success as guilds like HoE and DC have over the years.

From what I've seen and heard it seems as though basically all the good pvp guilds behave similarly in terms of structure and rules.

HoE IC and ISH