11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 09-02-2007, 02:45 AM

Sierron has much to be proud of
Wiki software
Ok, I'd like to ask a question to get some help.

I'm looking for wiki software to put on my website, that is similiar in style to what Wikipedia uses.

I have tried getting the software that was developed for Wikipedia, which is called MediaWiki, and my domain provider does have PHP5 installed, but when I go to configure MediaWiki, it says that it requires PHP5.0.0 and aborts.

I've looked all over for some similiar Wiki software, with not much luck for the past 1 - 1 1/2 weeks. Does anyone have one they would suggest that'd be similiar to MediaWiki? or something that looks good, and is just as easy to use?

Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Danmor is a jewel in the community Danmor is a jewel in the community
Ok, out of the blue I would suggest MediaWiki, but that doesn't work for you.
So I'm out of ideas
But you could try the search function on sourceforge.net and search for "wiki php". That should give you some results.
Every Saturday, 19:00 - 22:00 GMT on
Booty Island Radio
Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Adythiel is community member of note
My guild runs MediaWiki off our site. Our provider runs both PHP4 and PHP5. We use PHP4 for our front end CMS. We have an .htaccess file set up that enables PHP5 for the MediaWiki. You should be able to set that up for your provider as well.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Opinionated Gamer

Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Bishop is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Try Twiki if you can't get MediaWiki to work.

Edit: Or, if you just want 500 different wikis to choose from, check out Wikimatrix (and despair).
'till you run out of cake.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adythiel View Post
My guild runs MediaWiki off our site. Our provider runs both PHP4 and PHP5. We use PHP4 for our front end CMS. We have an .htaccess file set up that enables PHP5 for the MediaWiki. You should be able to set that up for your provider as well.
Hmm, how do I go about setting up, or getting a .htaccess file set up to enable PHPP5? and yeah, my provider runs both PHP4 and PHP5 as well.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierron View Post
Hmm, how do I go about setting up, or getting a .htaccess file set up to enable PHPP5? and yeah, my provider runs both PHP4 and PHP5 as well.
Ok i got a .htaccess file set up, now when I try to run the configuration of MediaWiki it says that it can't find the file configure/index.php but find a similiar one configure/index.html, but when I click on that it sends me to the admin log in for my hosting account. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 AM

Adythiel is community member of note
Sorry, been busy most of today. It sounds like the archive you downloaded is either missing files or not all the files were copied over. My guild is on MediaWiki 1.9, and the configuration is under/config/index.php There are only 2 files under that folder, index.php and LocalSettings.php

I haven't looked into 1.10, but there shouldn't be any html files at all in the MediaWiki Archive. Did you get it from the official site?

Old 09-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry, been busy most of today. It sounds like the archive you downloaded is either missing files or not all the files were copied over. My guild is on MediaWiki 1.9, and the configuration is under/config/index.php There are only 2 files under that folder, index.php and LocalSettings.php

I haven't looked into 1.10, but there shouldn't be any html files at all in the MediaWiki Archive. Did you get it from the official site?
Hmm, I'll try 1.9, yeah I got 1.10 from the official mediwiki site.. and yeah, even though it says there is a congif.html file found, there isn't a file like that.. It's getting kind of frustrating.. I haven't had any problems setting up otherthings, like wordpress, coppermine, and SMF Forums..
Old 09-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:

here is the error I get.. I've even tried it with mediawiki 1.6

The document name you requested (/config/index.php) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested.

Available documents:Please consider informing the owner of the referring page about the broken link.