11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 AM

watha2020 has much to be proud of
Reporter seeks cheaters
It's me again. Thanks for your help with the story on Guild Cafe. I figured I'd go to the well one more time.

This time, though, it's a touchy subject. I want to hear from MMO players who use bots or other tactics in order to, er, well, cheat a bit. I'm writing about an impressive new book on MMO cheating techniques, and I want to get input from the people who actually do it. Which games do you play, and what cheat techniques do you use? And of course, there's the most obvious question--why do you do it?

I'd love to use real names, but I understand if you'd prefer not to.

Interested? Please contact me ASAP. Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe
135 Morrissey Blvd.
P.O. Box 55819
Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
617-929-3119 voice
617-929-3183 fax
617-233-9419 cell
bray@globe.com
Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray
Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
What? There are no cheaters here!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
...I just wrote a huge article on cheating - in a FPS. I scrolled up, just to make sure everything was right when I noticed you talking about MMO CHEATING! Just sat there and...backspaced it all. Ahh, if it only it were a book on FPS, I'd have everything you need.

Other than that, this should be interesting.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelos@738 View Post
...I just wrote a huge article on cheating - in a FPS. I scrolled up, just to make sure everything was right when I noticed you talking about MMO CHEATING! Just sat there and...backspaced it all. Ahh, if it only it were a book on FPS, I'd have everything you need.

Other than that, this should be interesting.
LOL... can we at least give our idea to cheating on games in general? I don't even play MMOs, yet have some ideas about cheaters, normally bug abusers, though I've never been the one to cheat at multiplayer games.

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 08-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
it's A Trap!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Admiral Ackbar.jpg (34.2 KB, 9 views)

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja
Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama-Ebi Ogata View Post
it's A Trap!!!!!!!
lol!

Watha, you might also want to ask here: http://vforums.mmoglider.com/ (edit: tho, you might need an account to be able to post... which could cost money)

I've never cheated, and would never want to cheat, in a multiplayer game. I have cheated in single player games (which I never play anymore, lol), and the reason for doing it there was basically so I could skip boring stuff and do fun stuff. Like in an RTS, using a resource cheat to be able to be able to build the units to compete with the AI. Turning it from a combat/economy hybrid game, into one purely about strategy and tactics.

There seem to be different reasons players "cheat" in games like WoW; some may do it for the advantage it might give them over players, yes, but the reason the creator of the WoW "bot" program glider gives to justify his development of the program is that it lets you avoid all the boring leveling content, especially when you've done it many times before, and go right to the fun stuff. Cheating in the sense of this particular program means having the computer do nothing that you couldn't do yourself, if you could stand the tedium.

So from a, I guess, "liberal" perspective it does make sense. You're not hurting anyone by leveling with a bot, right? Especially when botters go out of their way to avoid interacting with other players at all while they bot, at least if they don't want to get reported. Players who are actively playing, otoh, are liable to all sorts of unpleasant things to each other if they are inclined to.

From a more "conservative" perspective, tho, you are hurting other players, because by botting you're weakening the idea that everyone who reaches the max level has done a certain amount of "work" to get there, has a certain body of achievements that define what it means to be that level. Of course, the botter would respond, is it really worth it to define a lvl 70 in that way if it means having to endure a tedious grind? Isn't it selfish of non-botters to insist that everyone who wants to be lvl 70 has to grind XP in such a sucky way, forcing themselves to endure agony now for the sake of maybe being able to have fun in the future? Botters are just dealing with a broken system... the same way that a lvl 20 alt who has their lvl 70 Guildmember run them thru Deadmines, with absolutely no challenge involved, is also dealing with a broken system in their own way. Why morally obligate yourself and others to endure such pain?

So I can see both perspectives. But as for myself, I am an idealist. I refuse to do anything unfun that's unfun because of criminal negligence by the game's creator (as common attitudes about gear worth can, indeed, be influenced by changing the game's structure), yet I also refuse to do anything that would benefit myself at the cost of others... so if I didn't find leveling to be fun, I wouldn't play at all.

I don't play at all, actually, but it's not because I find leveling unfun... it's because hybrid classes are broken and so is world PvP, so similar situation but different specifics. And Blizzard doesn't care about anything but raid or die heh... otherwise I could bear the game's flaws.

And some players cheat, botting or more extreme behavior like speed hacks or exploits, just because it's the most efficient way to farm gold which they can then sell for IRL money. >_> So the ethical situation there is pretty simple.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
While I've never done something stupid enough to get caught and banned (botting), I've made clever use of game mechanics plenty of times.

Do you have some questions you'd like answered?

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 08-31-2007, 06:52 PM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
While I've never done something stupid enough to get caught and banned (botting), I've made clever use of game mechanics plenty of times.

Do you have some questions you'd like answered?
Yes, actually, now that I think of it, I have somewhat "cheated" in MMOs. But that only goes from simple techniques to make the game easier and, once, I have used an item dupe - that was in Runescape though...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by watha2020 View Post
... I'm writing about an impressive new book on MMO cheating techniques, and I want to get input from the people who actually do it...
Impressive how?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast

Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
...clever use of game mechanics...
oh come on, that's not cheating... >.>

as long as they're intended game mechanics that you just combine in new ways, and not actual exploits like using a zoning bug to dupe gold, anything goes imo.

BLIZZARD doesn't think so, of course, but Blizzard is dumb. :D Blizzard tells raid leaders on a PvP server to stop trying to kill Magni because it's causing lag, then intentionally restarts the server when they don't listen.