11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM

watha2020 has much to be proud of
Journalist seeks members
I'm doing a story about Guild Cafe and would like to interview a few members. Why did you join? What do you like or dislike about the service? Have you made new friends or encountered new games to play? Why socialize here instead of inside the game itself?

Care to tell me about it? I'm on a tight deadline, so please contact me ASAP. Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe
135 Morrissey Blvd.
P.O. Box 55819
Boston, MA 02205-5819 USA
617-929-3119 voice
617-929-3183 fax
617-233-9419 cell
bray@globe.com
Recent writings: www.boston.com/business/technology/bray
Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community Ama-Ebi is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Ama-Ebi Send a message via MSN to Ama-Ebi
Hello

I'm happy to help as long as I don't need to use RL names/addresses. My email address is is: soesucks@gmail.com

I will answer your listed questions here, and feel free to contact me if you have more to ask.

Q: Why did I join GuildCafe?
A: I wanted to make sure I could keep in contact with friends from SWG who were leaving the game or had already left.

Q: What do I like/dislike about the service?
A: First off, it's free! The site is very well run/organized. You can register all of your avatar names so people can locate you in other games. The people who post here are generally very mature and post constructive and informative information rather than it just being a huge flame-fest. I can read various opinions about old or new games,get tech advice,see screen shots from games or just reminisce about the good old days in a certain game.

Q: Have you made new friends or encountered new games to play?
A: Somewhat. I've been exposed to more information about games by reading various posts on this site. I haven't made any strong friendships yet but would certainly be happy to chat with some people outside of this site via email or in game.

Q: Why socialize here instead of inside the game itself?
A: Not everyone here plays the same games I do. Also, there are times that I want 'downtime' and enjoy reading posts and replying. It's usually something I do when I don't have time to get into the game or it's late in the evening and I want to be able to go to sleep at a respectable hour.

Ama-Ebi Unagi Zahira Daja
Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I'm happy to help as long as I don't need to use RL names/addresses. My email address is guildcafe@gmail.com

I will answer your listed questions here

A: I was a friend of Tarinth and Roxi, and honestly it seemed like a great place to make some new friends. I was relatively new in the gaming social network and was ready to make some friends, because i had just found out that gaming with people is a lot more fun that alone!

A: Free is a great price, and there aren't any super annonying ads. I really enjoy this site and it shows since I am in no way compensated or employeed by guildcafe and I have spent LARGE amounts of hours promoting the web site (I run the myspace fan page) and participating at the website. I know Roxi's recruiting talent from being on the competive guildwars team with her. She won't settle for anyone second best on her team, which makes being apart of the team tough but you know that her team will always have some superstars... This trend held true when guildcafe hired Sanya a legendary community director, and just an all around nice person. I dislike the chat button still be in a horrible location, but that so small that it is not a big deal.

A: I have made a bunch of new friends since guildcafe and become much closer to my guildmates. This site is really depends on how much effort you put into it. I would have never known some many fun people to game with especially my international friend unless guildcafe was here. I would name names but then you always run the risk of forgetting people. I spend way to much time on guildcafe at work to talk with my friends either in chat or just forum spamming.

I have encountered many new games I was not normally going to play, two come to mind right away. First, Vanguard thanks to Tarinth. This choice turned out to be a mistake but I am still glad I tried. The second happen just recently, I was looking for a FPS that had a good coop community behind it. I posted the thread under the FPS section asked for some suggestions got a few and settled on Rainbow 6....needless to say it was great move because the game is sweet.

I know you asked about games that I have gotten into since being at guildcafe, but I have gotten into more beta's being a member at guildcafe than new games... people always remind others that "XXX games beta just opened up go sign up" I have gotten into 4 beta's in a year because of guildcafe. I had never been in a beta before.

A: Time zones are killer when you make friends on a weekend and they are eastcoast or international and I am westcoast. Also I can't really play games at work on my lunch break of course. Also sometimes you are between games, currently I am not playing any game with my friends because there isn't a game out that we all want to play, so we hang out at GC (guildcafe).

Hope this helps.
Shadow

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
I did respond via email.

My initial reaction was "shouldn't this be in the guild recruiting forum"? Then I realized Journalist wasn't a guild.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
A: I believe it would be a good place to find new people, games, and things to talk about that have a similar mindset as myself (as gamers)

A: Likes - Free, very organized, extremely active, good interface options, guild making, forums, community powered, very quick helpdesk. Dislikes, added simple interface can become a nightmare for another (hard to accept friends if you don't know where to look), Chat system is almost invisible, still has limited options.

A: Yes, not much on the games section, but I get informed. I didn't explore much games when I went to college and now I have time to read through some of the games I may have missed, and talk about oldies classic games. From there I can get people's opinions and ideas and that's when bridges are formed

A: Like some have said, not everyone can be online all the time. It seems easier to socialize in this area. Also, you can find some potential players and join you in your crusades of fame and glory, where ever it may be.

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 AM
Famous Member

DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community DarthSirov is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post
I did respond via email.

My initial reaction was "shouldn't this be in the guild recruiting forum"? Then I realized Journalist wasn't a guild.
LOL... what are you smoking?

Phantasyrpg.com
Good ticked based game, easy to play and get engrossed.

http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Darth_Sirov
Kongregate - One of the best place to look for good Flash Games

www.disputedgalaxy.com
Best Flash Space Shooter Game
Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Let me know if you want to 1 on 1 interview this or just have questions asked, and I can help a fellow journalist out, gladly!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 AM
Enthusiast

Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence Taemojitsu is bathed in a white light of excellence
- don't play the game.
- I like the diversity of viewpoints and the options we have to express who we are here. Especially blogs, that's something that you won't find many other places.

basically, I was desperate for a community, and this is the only one I knew of where I might fit in to some degree.

Guildcafe is just a very high-quality website, even if it is a bit slow around here right now.

I have not made new friends or found new games to play -- I wasn't expecting to -- but I have found my place in this community and don't want to leave.

I am ashamed to admit that if I was playing a game right now, I probably wouldn't think of this place the way I do. But I also can't imagine why I would be playing a game that way, because I have only a very few reasons to play games at this point in my life. Guildcafe allows me to be a part of the community without the commitment I'd feel if I were playing a game.

So basically it's socialization to me the way "casual games" like Yahoo or MSN flash are achievement to the players who play them.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM

digitaldiva73 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to digitaldiva73
I'm not a founding member, nor am I the most popular on GuildCafe, but I browse a lot of web sites on a daily basis for my business and pleasure and this one caught my eye for a reason. If you want to interview a plain-jane-girlgamer then I'll be happy to explain why I took my time from playing mommy, web developer, and military wife just to join this little community.

+++ digitaldiva73 +++

"Heaven is a woman, Hell is a woman, kicking your @ss in PvP"
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Cooliocious.