11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
Pimp my PC
Pimp my PC.

So Recently I was asked a question from a member of guild café about his system and what he should be upgrading in his computer so he can play the newest and the greatest out there.

What hardware parts even effect gaming? Video card, processor, and RAM, right?
Well your entire system can be effected by one piece of hardware but those three are the big ones that can make, or break your game play!.

First I’ll talk about what is important in your gaming rig and then what you can do to upgrade your PC even if your on a budget.

I’d have to say the number one thing that you can upgrade in your system to improve how good your games look is your Video card, I cant stress how much this effects your game play. The second thing to upgrade is really either your ram or CPU it really can go either way in terms of what needs upgrading but lucky for you both of them are cheap as dirt right now! You can go out and buy a new DirectX 10 Video card for 200-400 dollars and that will kick ass for you for at least a year or two depending on your graphics requirements for your games. For a Processor I’d have to go with a Intel Core 2 Duo mainly because for gaming they are a much better choice then the AMD solution and they are easier on your wallet and with the new E6X50 series of chips out prices have dropped to amazeingly affordable prices. As for ram I go with a brand I know and can trust. Corsair is the best performance/cost ram out there I can think of they are also the most likely to be compatible with the motherboard you choose. You can also go with Crucial (tho more expensive) or another company like OCZ, Kingston, or G.Skill. other then that upgrades don’t matter nearly as much as those main three.

Here is a PC wish list I built on Newegg showing a lower Top end gaming PC complete with all the fixings except a Operating system for about $1100 you can use it as a good example of upgrade hardware or if you have a more specific question feel free to ask me here or on a PM with stuff like "I have Blah CPU Blah GPU X amount of RAM." And I will try and help you out with selecting hardware on a budget.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
can you see my wish list?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...asp?ID=4558812

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

nope what i did was e-mail the wishlist to my e-mail and used that link. to e-mail it to yourself click the link on the top left of the list
Last edited by Yeti : 08-16-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM

RabidCrab is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to RabidCrab Send a message via AIM to RabidCrab Send a message via MSN to RabidCrab Send a message via Yahoo to RabidCrab Send a message via Skype™ to RabidCrab
I have a:

8800 GTX superclocked
AMD FX-53
2 gigs of 333 MHZ

Whats worse, my FX-53 or the incredibly slow RAM?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...le=xmas%2Fbday

How about this?

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM

RabidCrab is community member of note
Send a message via ICQ to RabidCrab Send a message via AIM to RabidCrab Send a message via MSN to RabidCrab Send a message via Yahoo to RabidCrab Send a message via Skype™ to RabidCrab
You want the case I won in a HL2 tourney Shadow

Personally, I love the case but it doesn't have easy-to-install drives and it's pretty heavy to lug around LAN parties.

The airflow is amazing though. The fans make barely any noise, and half the fans I don't use because it's efficient enough
Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

ya i could see it now, i vaguely remember seeing it before it all looks great, with the exception of the OEM version of windows, dont buy OEM unless you plan on never starting another PC from scratch with that copy of windows. and the powersupply is just unheard of i've never owned one and never heard anything bad about them but nothing good either.

*Edit for Correctness*
Last edited by Yeti : 08-17-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
I agree, in order, I'd say video card, sufficient system ram, video card with way more ram than you think you need, sufficient high speed system ram, and then the CPU. Some games bottleneck on the CPU, but if you're swapping textures from disk all the time, you won't care. And then there's the whole issue of fan noise.

Of course, when you say "pimp my pc" I always think cases, like the biohazard themed one with custom rusted fan guards, for example: http://www.crazypc.com/other/cases/c...v1200bioh.html. (Sadly, this will do nothing for your frame rate. But you did say pimp. )

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
ya i could see it now, i vaguely remember seeing it before it all looks great, with the exception of the OEM version of windows, dont buy OEM unless you plan on never upgrading ANYTHING in your pc EVER! even if you change ram it will kill your copy of windows with the Vista OEM.
False, and a pricey mistake there pal :P

Quote:
A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms of the license – which, incidentally, may mean providing support for family members.

In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate – not repurchase the OEM software – if they do, she said.
Source
Last edited by RedQ : 08-16-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, tho when i did read the article i noticed that it also state s that if you build a new PC from scratch you cant transfer the license.

"One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine."

and that can mean bad news.