11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Community Man!

Tagrun is a jewel in the community Tagrun is a jewel in the community
We have had Counter Strike...now what?
So we have had our Counter Strike Online FPS, but what do you all think is next for this genre to be as big as CS?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Well, CS lets players pretty much shape the game, so it's the dominant FPS...
I'd say something like Furry, but that's not strictly an FPS. You're really making me think on this, I had a few ideas of something like UT. Halo 3 doesn't count and won't last, so CS will still be the king for awhile.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Community Man!

Tagrun is a jewel in the community Tagrun is a jewel in the community
I figured it would be...but...some thing new should come out and compete! I want to see it go head to head...Haha
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Daedalus has set foot on a distinguished road
The evolution of FPS from CS has already happened in the form of other HL mods. Many of the non-source mod developers have been taken onboard Vavle, and games like Natural Sellection really laid down the foundation for what is now called RTS-FPS, as we see in many new Objective based FPS games like Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.

Can't wait for NS:Source \o/
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 AM

kerupt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kerupt Send a message via MSN to kerupt Send a message via Yahoo to kerupt
Insurgency kinda helped bring a new twist on the anti-terrorism game play. Meshed Battlefield game flow with something that feels a bit more like CS. If it had a bit more of a competitive feel, or if the developers move it that direction, you might see some competitive game play from that.

Other than that, I do agree that Fury (RPG at the speed of an FPS, in the beta, good game) and Natural Selection are two very good ones as well. Will have to keep our eyes open.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
For death match mode specificly you have Crysis. The new RPG features in that are going to spice things up quite alot. But generally enhancing yourself and making your toon or whatever you'd like to call it stronger in the chosen areas is probably going to be big, aswell as RTS styled objectives and what-not, like the BF series. The new game Portal is incredibly interesting in that it provides mobile gates that can be placed in tactical locations wich is another feature that probably will play a big part in future FPS.

The future FPS has to have a strong, mod based community where the players create their own new content or it won't have a chance of competing with games that do.

I'd say that new types of game mode are also a big thing, death match is getting old, CTF is getting old, point a to point b is getting old. We need new stuff.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelos@738 View Post
W. Halo 3 doesn't count and won't last, so CS will still be the king for awhile.
I don't think that is a fair assessment. Perhaps it won't last for you(And probably not me) but other really do love that game. Halo 2 is still really active.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
I don't think that is a fair assessment. Perhaps it won't last for you(And probably not me) but other really do love that game. Halo 2 is still really active.
Hell it will last, but not like CS, not the masses and popularity, including player-made features. You'll see more that Halo sucks over CS, but I enjoy them both.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 AM

LamaLeif has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to LamaLeif
I think Team Fortress 2 is the only fps that might come anywhere near the popularity of CS for public server playing, still remains to be seen how it turns out for clan matches.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast

KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community
ET: Quake Wars is gonna be a good one, and I think COD4 will be popular also...

Not sure what the BF series has planned next, but they may be on the way out...getting weak...