11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Notification Systems
I am pretty upset that Rackspace made changes to our system setup last night at 10:30 PM Central that effectively blocked all traffic until I awoke at 6:00AM to find the problem.

Our servers were up and running, else Rackspace would have taken care of that I have faith. However, what they did was apply changes ordered for our new development server to our public server! After hours!

This is my first time running anything important on a hosting service, I was network ops for both Novalink and Eprise (our first two companies). I can tell you we had devices setup to phone me. Devices that cycled power in certain computers stopped communicating, then called me wherever I was. I have driven thru blizzards to reset routers. Whatever. That was fanatical devotion. I have that same devotion now but no systems in place.

I want to set up a system or buy a service to monitor whether GuildCafe is running or not, hunt us down and let us know if there is a problem. We are already looking at several business that provide these services. If you have any ideas or can recommend a service you've had good experience with let me know.

Meanwhile Grrrrrr Rackspace. Somebody is going to taste the spoon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM

biognome is a jewel in the community biognome is a jewel in the community
Just post your cell # here. I absolutely guarantee that you'll hear about it if the site goes down!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
If you have a separate computer running all the time, you could install IPCheck ( http://www.paessler.com/ipcheck/download ). The freeware version limits the check interval to no less than 15 minutes.