11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 AM

Happa is a jewel in the community Happa is a jewel in the community
Hmm. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder regarding this topic.

I think FPSs evolve just like MMOs do, although a bit slower in terms of innovation.

Take Quake Wars for instance. Yeah its "Quake", made by ID etc etc...
However, it is ID's answer to BF2. Ie. Squad based in a sense, has a bit of "Classes" behind it, vehicles, other things that gamers expect to be in a FPS by now. It is in a sense just another FPS though.

It's not easy to make a WoW when the market is so flooded with similar products. FPSs are definitely a "Dime a dozen", but think of how little it takes to make one though. Multiplayer wise, all you need is a master server in most cases. Thats honestly about 20 million off the development price tag right there.

Hell there are tools out on the net that can let you make your own FPS.

FPS play is fast, exciting and repetitive. If you consider gaming filling certain "Gaps" then FPSs let you fill it in tiny incriminates, without looking back once you've quit the game. I will never buy another personally, because I usually uninstall it and go back to a Quake2 Lithium server. Which is the same thing I do with MMOs these days, but replace Q2 with AO.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Hah, interesting point. Add Quake2 to the list of things I recently replayed for lack of interesting things to do.

I miss Rune Quake. Hey wait, I don't have to...

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Wow, OP.

Try an FPS game that takes focus away from twitch and points it to STRATEGY.

And please don't worry, with the recent explosion of MMO popularity you'll see several blockbuster FPS MMOs.. maybe then it'll all make sense to you :P
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Droniac has set foot on a distinguished road
Explain FPS? The best way is to just experience it for yourself. Sure there are the obvious cosmetic differences such as a futuristic or world war 2 setting, but beyond just that there are huge differences in gameplay as well. Let's list a few examples of great FPS games that play so differently that fans of each of these games are nearly always not fans of (all of) the others.

- Outcast: High-tech futuristic open-ended singleplayer game with a high degree of customization and stellar storytelling. Somewhat similar games are Deus Ex (without the open world and with less linear storytelling), System Shock 2 & S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
- Operation Flashpoint: Hyper-realistic warfare simulation with an amazing level of depth and freedom. Similar games include Red Orchestra. There's also the less realistic teambased warfare games like Battlefield, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc.
- Counter Strike: Basic slow-paced simplistic machine gun game, the most common 'genre' and (unfortunately) most popular. Similar games include Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, F.E.A.R., etc.
- Unreal Tournament: High-tech futuristic shooter with crazy weaponry, intense speed & much more freedom to improve your skills. Commonly (by fans of machine gun games) mistaken for "simple" and "no-brainer" games, where in reality the opposite is true. Similar games include Painkiller, Quake, Tribes & Half Life (1, not 2).

Granted the above is still very, very, basic - and amongst those 'subgenres' many shooters still differ greatly. But if you truly want to experience the difference between varying shooters - then by all means try one of each of the above. You'll soon notice vast differences between all of these shooters, which is the reason why very few gamers (dis)like all of these games at once. (e.g.: I love UT/RtCW/Outcast/Tribes, but loathe CS, Halo and Battlefield)

It's no different from MMORPGs, RTS games or RPGs: if you don't give them a genuine try then you can't possible pretend to see the differences between them. To many FPS fans all MMORPGs are the same (although the amount of similar fantasy hack & slash MMOs makes that very easy) and the same can be said for RTS and RPGs. You can't really talk about differences between 'similar' products, when you've never even really given them a try and thus don't know what to look for.

It's no different from saying that Mission Impossible, Desperado and Transformers are all the exact same movie. Sure they're action movies, but there are some pretty huge differences not only in the settings and stories, but also in the amount, direction, degree and type of action not to mention the manner in which it is presented. Desperado being a silly action flick, with stuff like big men shooting rockets from guitar cases... whereas Transformers would be a dramatic, serious, movie with overly stylized transformer battles and a lot of CG... where Mission Impossible is somewhat more down-to-earth (for an action movie ), also dramatic, but without the insane CG-reliance and stylized action of Transformers.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

torak101 is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
I play both genres and love them both in the own special way
Thats one of the best things I've read in awhile and sums it up nicely. I can really appreciate the ideals of both myself, I'm just a lot more jaded and disappointed with todays MMO's. To me, these games are the ones that are the unoriginal "dime a dozen" . Thats just me and that doesn't mean there isn't great stuff coming.

You can go both ways with this argument. Enemy Territory is the counter to BF2 or you could say LotRs is Turbines counter to WoW. /shrug. I enjoy both also.
I think LotRs is a step in a good direction, I also think ET is a step in the right direction. For once, the gamers win!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Did anyone ever play Planet Side(MMOFPS)? That was pretty fun IMO, just never really caught on. I don't remember why I quit, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

torak101 is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
Did anyone ever play Planet Side(MMOFPS)? That was pretty fun IMO, just never really caught on. I don't remember why I quit, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
Yes, I played it for a while a long time ago. It was fun but now a days it has very low pops and very dated looking.
How they expect to compete with stuff like BF2142 which is basically free to play vs a subscription is a mystery to me.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:49 AM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenTajah View Post
I've tried playing half life, CS, Fear, and a couple of other games at friends' houses.
That would be like a friend coming over and seeing you whack 10 mutant rats for an MMO mission.

Playing a game like Halflife is like reading a book or watching a movie. You need to play it from the start, by yourself, preferably in a dark room and with headphones or good speakers turned up.

And CS isn't a story game. It's where you pit your shooting skills against others.

Doom 3 and FEAR were OK, with some impressive graphics for their time. The story and repetition were a let down, though.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
FPS are simple really -- twitch control and skill. It's the ultimate proving-grounds for elitists where reflexes and a keen eye are what count. Back when I played CS, I was so fast that people watching over my shoulder couldn't believe the shots I'd make. It really is a rush and I love the challenges they provide. I'm a huge gun nut, so arsenal will also draw me in; especially if you can customize parts. STALKER is my favorite FPS to date for those reasons.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenTajah View Post
Player vs. player seems to be the big attraction, and it's always baffled me why so many FPS player switch platforms so frequently.
PVP in most MMORPG's fails. That is why there is such an attraction to FPS PVP. To me, small map games like quake have become boring. Games like BF2 and BF2142 or more strategy FPS and are the ones i like these days.

As to why there is always a switch its because an MMORPG always pushes out new content, so whenyou get bored of the gmae, there is always a new zone to explore or new items to get.

Once you played the same FPS map 12,000 times, you either move to the next game, download user made maps or buy the expansion pack if there is one.

A good FPS can give you a few months of decent playing.. more if you join a clan or get into tournaments.

The first game to succesfully merge the PVP market and MMORPG market will be a huge hit.

gaming news