11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
i play FPS games for the same reason i play PvP in MMO's because i know on the other side of that Ethernet cable is some poor soul crying out in agony over being "pwned" or knifed for the second time in a row. plus an FPS is based on a round game type where i can join play for 1 round 5-20min and leave with no real loss other then a loss of practice.. where WoW for example its a grind for faction grind for gold grind for pvp points where if you are not playing you are loseing out on that ultimate chance for a purple drop while farming faction for Timbermaw.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:56 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
I really don't remeber the last time I played singleplayer in most FPS, I buy most games purely for the multiplayer. Granted a game like Duex Ex is made for singleplayer, and I will in those cases.
Not too many FPSs are made for single player any more, are they?

A good FPS for single player combines an interesting story or plot of some kind with the excitement of survival, puzzles, and blowing things up. Intellectual challenges and exploring are frequently part of really good FPSs.

Needless to say, the online-only FPSs don't need any of that.

I think people switch games a lot (I don't) because twitch-gaming skillz are transferable between games. Your ability to dodge while changing weapons, changing ammo types, and lobbing a grenade simultaneously will serve you in any FPS, so why not play the one with the coolest graphics and soundtrack?

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

torak101 is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekhedd View Post
Not too many FPSs are made for single player any more, are they?

A good FPS for single player combines an interesting story or plot of some kind with the excitement of survival, puzzles, and blowing things up. Intellectual challenges and exploring are frequently part of really good FPSs.

Needless to say, the online-only FPSs don't need any of that.

I think people switch games a lot (I don't) because twitch-gaming skillz are transferable between games. Your ability to dodge while changing weapons, changing ammo types, and lobbing a grenade simultaneously will serve you in any FPS, so why not play the one with the coolest graphics and soundtrack?
Hmmm...Enemy Territory is going to have a story driven, single player element as is Warfront: fuel for War, Call of Duty 4: modern warfare, Crysis and Bioshock off the top of my head.

Also, Call of Duty 2 is not all that old and if memory serves it had a pretty decent single player as did Doom 3 and Halflife 2, GUN, SiN, Brother in Arms, Fear, Farcry, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and SWAT4 just to name a few.... Sure, its not epic, award winning stuff but much of it is still single player driven and most of the time it offers a bit more then the average MMO with their kill 10 bats/rats/boars/goblin crusades and "go fetch" runs.
Last edited by torak101 : 07-25-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Village Idiot

Grarghsies is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Grarghsies Send a message via MSN to Grarghsies
ET:QW is fully multiplayer ^^^.

Just it's missions are story driven ie. They're based on happenings of the Strogg invasion in the Quake universe.

And Half Life 2 DID win awards for it's story IIRC, because it's fricking fantastic
Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenTajah View Post
First off, let me state that in no way am I attempting to stir up controversy or "troll." I'm simply curious...

Why do FPS fans buy multiple games? I don't mean to come off as negative, but HALO, rainbow 6, whatever all just look like Doom to me. I mean the old Doom. Sure the graphics are better... but I really don't comprehend the differences.

I've always assumed the stories weren't that good, since they seldom are in -any- games... Player vs. player seems to be the big attraction, and it's always baffled me why so many FPS player switch platforms so frequently.

Personally, I'm into MMOs or RTS (not that there's been any new strategy game since Starcraft came out). I'm just wondering why I'm so clueless on this massive genre!
I don't think this is an easy thing to explain on a forum. Just maybe download a free trial. I don't think your comparisons are accurate. (they look like "old doom"??? )

The thing to keep in mind with FPS is they are action games. Think of them along the lines of the stereotype action movie. Yeah, they have a story/plot sometime not all that good many times entertaining some are Very good but you are there for the action.
They are nothing like MMO's which really only require you to turn it on and put your time in grinding something or another or an RTS which is its own animal. In fact most MMO's you can easily substitute a human for a bot program and no one will know the difference not that it matters, the bot is probably bored playing also.
If the idea of an action game isn't appealing to you, then don't bother.

I don't know about switching platforms, the most played FPS games in hours on Xfire is pretty consistant. I know when it comes to online play, I only use BF2 with mods. /shrug I guess it depends on were you are getting that info from and in what context. People may move from shooter to shooter becasue they just play the single player and the story ends, then they move onto a new one with a new story.

I dunno. Maybe the same reasons people hop from MMO to MMO, it get boring after awhile playing in the same environments.

Nothing new in RTS since starcraft?!? Yikes, where you been? Yes the basics are still there, you still manage units on a strategic level but thats what RTS is. Today isn't really the same as the SC days. Some of them stick closer to the root formula others have moved away. Have you tried Company of Heroes, or Warhammer 40K yet? I don't think you will be singing that toon once you try these. One of my favorites and I have no idea why, is Spellforce 2.
Last edited by torak101 : 07-25-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grarghsies View Post
ET:QW is fully multiplayer ^^^.

Just it's missions are story driven ie. They're based on happenings of the Strogg invasion in the Quake universe.

And Half Life 2 DID win awards for it's story IIRC, because it's fricking fantastic
Ah, but there will be single player. You will do the missions with bots I guess in which case you may as well play multiplayer IMHO.

Question: What will the single-player mode entail?
Kevin: The game will have bots for the single-player mode. Our goal when creating the bots is for players to not be able to tell the difference between the bots and human players. Bots will taunt you, go after you in Warm-up, basically they’ll do all the things that a human player will do. They’re at a point where they can do anything.
http://pc.gamezone.com/news/04_02_07_09_00AM.htm
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 PM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenTajah View Post
First off, let me state that in no way am I attempting to stir up controversy or "troll." I'm simply curious...

Why do FPS fans buy multiple games? I don't mean to come off as negative, but HALO, rainbow 6, whatever all just look like Doom to me. I mean the old Doom. Sure the graphics are better... but I really don't comprehend the differences.

I've always assumed the stories weren't that good, since they seldom are in -any- games... Player vs. player seems to be the big attraction, and it's always baffled me why so many FPS player switch platforms so frequently.

Personally, I'm into MMOs or RTS (not that there's been any new strategy game since Starcraft came out). I'm just wondering why I'm so clueless on this massive genre!
Play through half-life 1 and 2 and then come back here .
Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Queen of Pain

QueenTajah is a jewel in the community QueenTajah is a jewel in the community
I've tried playing half life, CS, Fear, and a couple of other games at friends' houses.

/shrug. It's the same game. It's the same as doom or duke nukem or whatever those old games were.... but I'm sure you guys feel the same way about UO, Daoc, etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
I play both genres and love them both in the own special way
Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by torak101 View Post
Hmmm...Enemy Territory is going to have a story driven, single player element as is Warfront: fuel for War, Call of Duty 4: modern warfare, Crysis and Bioshock off the top of my head.
Hmm, let's see, I thought I'd played everything I remotely care about. ...oh, none of these are shipping. Poop! Got my hopes up! Well, maybe I'll have something interesting to do in the future here.

Hmm, and I also have excluded most "totally realistic combat" games, which always seem to be done with more care than the others. I guess that's not fair.

These others are all good suggestions, and I own and have played them all:

GUN - OK, this game is fun. best played on a console.
Doom 3 - shallow cheap scares, kinda old, the movie was better
Halflife 2 - good, now quite ancient, played several times for lack of something else to do
SiN - extremely ancient, good, played several times for lack of something else to do
Fear - repetitive, kinda spooky, someday I'm going to finish it, really
Farcry - incredibly boring tech demo
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - be one of the dead on the beach! party game

And the only two games I don' t actually own seem to be more "real soldier" styled:

Brother in Arms - heard that was great
SWAT4 - Heard that was great

A lot of the best games are in a sub-genre I don't care about. Maybe what I mean is right now we're in a lull. I'll hold my breath!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --