11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Queen of Pain

QueenTajah is a jewel in the community QueenTajah is a jewel in the community
Can someone explain FPS to me?
First off, let me state that in no way am I attempting to stir up controversy or "troll." I'm simply curious...

Why do FPS fans buy multiple games? I don't mean to come off as negative, but HALO, rainbow 6, whatever all just look like Doom to me. I mean the old Doom. Sure the graphics are better... but I really don't comprehend the differences.

I've always assumed the stories weren't that good, since they seldom are in -any- games... Player vs. player seems to be the big attraction, and it's always baffled me why so many FPS player switch platforms so frequently.

Personally, I'm into MMOs or RTS (not that there's been any new strategy game since Starcraft came out). I'm just wondering why I'm so clueless on this massive genre!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Village Idiot

Grarghsies is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Grarghsies Send a message via MSN to Grarghsies
Platforms or games?

TBH, every game has it's own"feel" the speed of the objectives, the reloads, accuracy, sounds and maps.

Like Counterstrike and say Tribes are totally different, as are Quake and Battlefield
Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Enthusiast

Jerec is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Jerec Send a message via MSN to Jerec
Honestly, I feel the exact same way about strategy games. I have no idea why. But the execution of FPS games varies so widely that, for me, it feels fresh even though it's basically just shooting things. The storylines vary, some games have some special "gimmick" (Ex: TimeShift's ability to control time), different locations, etc.

I also think it's a bit unfair to stereotype FPS storylines. Sure, a majority are pretty bland, but there are some brilliant exceptions. Deus Ex quickly comes to mind.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Enthusiast

Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community
Different Fps games actually feel and play remarkably different despite their similarities, sure many are bland and pointless most of the big ones you hear about are very different from each other, and provide a different experience.
Still it comes down to a matter of opinion, the less you enjoy Fps games, the harder it is to distinguish the details between games.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:17 AM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdo View Post
Still it comes down to a matter of opinion, the less you enjoy Fps games, the harder it is to distinguish the details between games.
your post can apply to more then just FPS games but to RPG's and RTS as well. also there have been several types of games released since starcraft that are very different in terms of how they play, just look at Ground control 2, World in Conflict or Supreme Commander.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Enthusiast

KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community
Aside from game mechanics, there are also three basic genres of FPS games to play (imho): fantasy shooter (HALO, ET:QW), WWII shooter (COD or MOH), and the modern(ish) shooter (BF2, BF2142, CS, etc..). And yes, each game does feel and play different within the genres.

I also think that the fee structure has something to do with it. With MMO's for the most part, you're locked in paying for the game and a subscription fee; most FPS games are pay for the game and play for free.

The best think I like about FPS games (multi player ones) is that they are the most pure strain of PvP available. You rely on your reflexes and your wits, rather than phat loot and move combos.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community Abdo is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
your post can apply to more then just FPS games but to RPG's and RTS as well. also there have been several types of games released since starcraft that are very different in terms of how they play, just look at Ground control 2, World in Conflict or Supreme Commander.
I almost added something like this to my post, but was to lazy to type it.
Thanks for saving me the trouble
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Xincyrveni has much to be proud of
Most of them are the same to me with varying degrees of story lines or weapons. I used to play all the GR, MOHAA, COD etc but now have gotten away from that and mainly play MMOs. But they all shared that one common goal: to blow the hell out of anything and everything.

I guess you were a fan of sc? Seems they are finally making sc2.

http://www.starcraft2.com/
Old 07-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
I really don't remeber the last time I played singleplayer in most FPS, I buy most games purely for the multiplayer. Granted a game like Duex Ex is made for singleplayer, and I will in those cases.

I just like the "PvP" and knowing that he has exactly the same assets as me, much like mentioned above.

"You rely on your reflexes and your wits, rather than phat loot and move combos."
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
counter strike is a game that people have been playing longer than ANY game out there. Also unlike MMOs FPS aren't pay per month so after 3 months we have saved enough to buy a new game....If you played WoW for 2 years it would be like if you have 9 FPS games over 2 years. I can't imagen playing 9 FPS games in 2 years, would never get to an elite skill level.

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork