11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Who run's RAID in some form?
Well I was browsing my local Comp USA, and ran across a Western Digital Raptor 70 GB version, which is already a blazing fast drive. I was STUNNED to see the price of it at 120$ and on newegg it was 150$. It seemed like a deal to me and I had always wanted to experience RAID 0 for myself to see what type of speed benefits I would actually see, especially for game load times and since I already had one raptor 70gb. I couldn't resist not picking up a second.

I just finished re-installing XP on the now raided WD raptor, I haven't installed any games yet. As soon as I get Quake Wars:ET installed I'll let you guys know what type of speed increases I see!

Also post any of your thoughts or comments about RAID 0/1/5 JBOD!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
I would suggest you instal your OS (drivers, work app's, etc) on a separate HDD and leave the RAID 0's for nothing but games. You will have increased performance and more storage room if you do it this way. You would be fine running a 7200RPM HDD for your OS, the speed wont make a difference in normal Windows use.

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
It sure is nice having the quick load times in windows though.

On another note:

What brand of GeForce do you own? I am about to upgrade my whole PC, including a 768 mb 8800 of sorts. I already ordered a 21.6 inch wide screen samsung that gets here on Wednesday woo hoo.
Last edited by DaMann : 07-23-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
I run a mirrored setup, as reliability trumps performance for me. I hate installing Windows. (And then calling to activate it again.) There's not a big performance hit--a minor hit on writes, and a theoretical speedup on reads that I have totally failed to benchmark. Nevertheless, performance is acceptable and I haven't had any RAID-related problems once I got XP to find the RAID.

Now if only I could set up a RAID DVD-ROM. That sucker is slow!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Daedalus has set foot on a distinguished road
I've been thinking of setting up RAID aswell, using 2 of these: 250 GB - SATAII-300 (Fluid) - 7200 RPM / 16MB, Native Command Queuing (NCQ) – Caviar RE (RAID Edition)

But i can't decide weather to go with small or large storage. My current HD is filled (almost) along with my external HDD, space means alot to me and i don't think 2 x 70gigs would do it.

Any comments are welcome
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
It sure is nice having the quick load times in windows though.

On another note:

What brand of GeForce do you own? I am about to upgrade my whole PC, including a 768 mb 8800 of sorts. I already ordered a 21.6 inch wide screen samsung that gets here on Wednesday woo hoo.
Welcome to the bleeding-edge club.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
Well I was browsing my local Comp USA, and ran across a Western Digital Raptor 70 GB version, which is already a blazing fast drive. I was STUNNED to see the price of it at 120$ and on newegg it was 150$. It seemed like a deal to me and I had always wanted to experience RAID 0 for myself to see what type of speed benefits I would actually see, especially for game load times and since I already had one raptor 70gb. I couldn't resist not picking up a second.

I just finished re-installing XP on the now raided WD raptor, I haven't installed any games yet. As soon as I get Quake Wars:ET installed I'll let you guys know what type of speed increases I see!

Also post any of your thoughts or comments about RAID 0/1/5 JBOD!
The only RAID you'd want for gaming is 0; 1 and higher is more or less for business/server PCs. I personally don't use it because of disk failures and Vista already loads in less than 30 seconds on this beast.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
That would be me! I'm the co-leader of the Nocturnal Raiders [Raid], a guildwars guild. We pride ourselves on being a laid back, family friendly--er, wait...this isn't what you were asking about, was it?

*Scrolls up to read OP's Question*

Oh. Yeah. I'm lost. Goodluck with that though.

Oh, and if you're ever looking for a GuildWars guild...you know who to call!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
The only RAID you'd want for gaming is 0; 1 and higher is more or less for business/server PCs. I personally don't use it because of disk failures and Vista already loads in less than 30 seconds on this beast.
Well, if RAID 1 is pretty awesome, but doesn't boost performance with most BIOS systems. The increased probability of failure is what prevents me from touching RAID 0. I would definitely think regular backups (at least of your save games) would be a good thing.

You should actually see no change in performance with a good chipset, and a barely significant one with a mediocre one. Games don't do much writing, and shouldn't see a significant performance decrease with RAID 1. This is definitely chipset-dependent--they want to get the word RAID on the box, but they don't care if it actually improves performance!

On about page 6 of this review you get actual performance test results with SATA hardware (a bit dated but should give you the general idea):

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...d/index.x?pg=6

I was surprised that RAID 1 and 1+0 don't give a huge boost on reads. Cheapo BIOS RAID just can't compare with a hardware setup! I'm sure newer chipsets do better, and certainly you get amazing performance boosts with RAID0 when creating and moving content.

So, all this is rambling. My point is: make backups, because you've more than doubled the chance your drive will fail. KK? (How does that work again? Can't remember my statistics...)

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Last edited by tekhedd : 07-24-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: ???
Old 07-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Founding Member

I have never had an HD fail on me *knocks on wood* still have an IDE 80gb that I have had since my first pre built system, several years old and still kickin.

As for back ups, I am not an important person, sadly just about everything is replaceable, anything that is important to me I have spread out over different drives. All of my school work is pretty much done on my laptop, so that is really the only drive that would screw me over if it failed. However, I may starting ghosting my drives(isn't that what it's called, Norton Ghost?) just for safety's sake.