11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Metem has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Metem Send a message via MSN to Metem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
As PC gamer said, it's not about value, it's about pushing out that extra bit of performance. And according to PC gamer it does just that.
Considering that it's $200+, you're probably better off putting the money into better core components. But I guess if you're running a Core 2 Extreme, dual 8800s, 8GB RAM, etc., money is of no issue to you and you might as well.

I'd rather use the money on something else.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathraven View Post
The main thing ive notcied withthe KillerNic is that you get a better FPS (no, not "first person shooter". it means "frames per second"
Did you physically benchmark this or are you going by perceived performance? I find it very hard to believe that a network card would affect your framerate outside of bad netcode. The KillerNIC should be skipped over just like $100 HDMI cables -- you are still getting the same quality without paying for a brand name.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 AM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
Did you physically benchmark this or are you going by perceived performance? I find it very hard to believe that a network card would affect your framerate outside of bad netcode. The KillerNIC should be skipped over just like $100 HDMI cables -- you are still getting the same quality without paying for a brand name.
In my benchmarking tests I averaged 1-2 frames per second higher with the KillerNic than using onboard components. Given, that wasn't on the exact same computer, but it was on a computer with the same components so I think it should be at least a relatively accurate benchmark.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
i actually have a killerNIC i won one at Showdownlan last year and installed it in a build, it was a really cool black case with green lighting and some other additions. but much to my dismay i found the killer nic had big blinking red LED's on the board and i wanted to turn them off. when i did so in their software it said i needed to restart it. once i restarted Windows kept geting Critical memory errors (blue screen)when ever it tried to finish booting. ever since then its been siting on my shelf gathering dust.. but if you do have $200 just laying around and have a beefy system go for it but just make sure to read a few more reviews that have been done recently before you do.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
In my benchmarking tests I averaged 1-2 frames per second higher with the KillerNic than using onboard components. Given, that wasn't on the exact same computer, but it was on a computer with the same components so I think it should be at least a relatively accurate benchmark.
You'd need to use the exact same PC while swapping net cards for a conclusive benchmark. . .

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
Quote:
You'd need to use the exact same PC while swapping net cards for a conclusive benchmark. . .
Of course, which is why I didn't give a complete set of test results or waste anyone's times explaining my entire system configuration, I was merely stating my limited experience comparing a system that was using it with a system that wasn't that had all the same components save the KillerNic and that were using the same connection.

It could be that the KillerNic made absolutely no difference in performance and that there were some other factors involved, I just gave the averages I encountered, 1-2 FPS difference which certainly isn't a sizeable amount by any means.

The problem, obviously, with using the exact same pc and swapping cards is you have to have the kind of money where that is a possibility. I don't have an extra $200 for the KillerNic so I compared my computer with my brothers for performance. As has been stated there are plenty of places where you can look to get actual reviews and benchmarking test results that were done by professionals that don't have to go out and pay for these things themselves.

In a forum where the OP was merely asking if the marketing hype they are spouting is real or not I said what I encountered using the product and offered my opinion that it is not worth the high price tag.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
I want to see real benchmarks. Anything else is completely made-up. I could see how it could improve network latency, but it's completely humorous to think it would affect your frame rate unless a) you're still using a PCI video card, or b) your current NIC has really really crappy interrupt handler code.

Other favorite BS marketing hype:
  • Digital-ready headphones
  • Digital audio coax cable (the spec for S/PDIF recommends video cable)
  • Water-jacketed speaker wires (saw these in an audiophile magazine--the constant humidity surrounding the wire gives you better "damping"? )

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-20-2007, 03:09 AM

Kvlfrog has much to be proud of
Here is what I know from my experince wit computer hardware and studyig for my A+ certification.
1) The killer nic can and will increase perfomance on older machines, mainly FPS, this has to do with the fact there is no offload of processing, which with NICs the offload is typically directed at the GPU, this is useally do to the fact that there are direct conections, porviding the smallest latency, between the GPU and the NIC this is desinged this way becuase most of the graphics/graphical cordinates we aguire are from our internet conections.
2) Another reason you will see increased perfomance is witht he killer NIC the packets are orginized into the original format/table they were created in, this can increse FPS becuase it saves the GPU time, by allowing all Graphical corrdinates to be already orginized when sent to the GPU. Typuicall the GPU orginizes the coordinate packets after the NIC sends the information, this will slow down frame rate on any GPU, but it takes minimal power to orginze the information, thus with newer video cards, you may only see and increase as small as a.1 of a frame per second, but with older video cards you tend to see a great increase in frame rate.
3) In my opnion I would not buy the killer NIC to put in a new machine since Video cards now are able to handle the load of orginizing coordinates, also they are now designing the cards to have there own special proccessing sector for the orgnization of coordinate and color info. But if you are looking to imporve perfomance on an older machine, in terms of FPS and yuo do happen to have $200 to spend this is a good option, but ther may be a better way to get better FPS.

I forgot to mention above the FPS increase will be mainly seen on online games, but there is a possibility that you will see an increase with ofline games due to the migration to NICs handellng the data tranfer methods of programs instead of the FSB.

Thank you all for listening if anyone wishes to argue please send me a PM I will be happy to listen to your side of the aurgument.
Last edited by Kvlfrog : 07-20-2007 at 03:17 AM. Reason: I added the forgot to mention
Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
It is NOT worth the money and barely does what it advertises:
http://forum.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1304406

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drevnar View Post
It is NOT worth the money and barely does what it advertises:
http://forum.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1304406
Thanks for posting this awesome review. It pretty much shows me that buying this card won't help me in Guild Wars.

I am going to post this to favorites.