11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Question The KillerNic --Fact or Fiction?
Is this for real? I always thought a network card was a network card. Especially since ethernet speeds are so much faster than the Internet. Does thier story about freeing up the stack makes sense?

http://www.killernic.com

If this is real, I am going to buy it.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
Is this for real? I always thought a network card was a network card. Especially since ethernet speeds are so much faster than the Internet. Does thier story about freeing up the stack makes sense?

Well i'm not an expert in the field, but using logic i'd assume that a better constructed card with improved hardware/software would outperform a standard one. It can't increase the speed that data downloads/uploads once it has left the computer but i'm sure that the speed at wich information is divided/processed once it's actually inside the computer could be improved by a better network card/software structure.

Edit: And alot of the major reviewers have given it some pretty high ratings. I'm buying it for my new rig.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
I'm not an expert either, but having used both I can honestly say that the truth is somewhere in between. I have noticed a difference using one (my brother has it in his comp) but I wouldn't say it is an incredible difference. I don't feel the difference in performance is enough to warrant the price, personally.

Edit - I think it's important to add that the components in my computer and my brother's computer are mainly mid-high to high end so there may be more of a noticeable difference if you are running different hardware.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
As PC gamer said, it's not about value, it's about pushing out that extra bit of performance. And according to PC gamer it does just that.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Ya, if i was a mizillion dollar magazine it wouldn't be about money either I'll stick to my built in gigabit LAN port.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Deathraven has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Deathraven
The main thing ive notcied withthe KillerNic is that you get a better FPS (no, not "first person shooter". it means "frames per second"
Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
Not much of a big difference when i was testing it out. I have an older netgear hardware nic that worked almost as fast. I was getting 1-3 fps less then the killer nic. This was also a while back maybe it's been updated since then but for the price i wouldn't.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
As PC gamer said, it's not about value, it's about pushing out that extra bit of performance. And according to PC gamer it does just that.
Well, if that is all they are trying to accomplish then I guess it works, but I can't see myself spending 200+ dollars on an item for a minimal increase like I encountered. If others have great results, awesome, they should probably get it, but if you are only going to get a small increase you could better invest that $200 into another 2GB RAM and still have money left over.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
It's fair to say that a network card that offloads CPU or OS interaction would perform "better," but I'd be very surprised if the performance increase was significant compared to a lot of other things you might do. No high-performing card is going to compensate for a bad ISP.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post

As mentioned, I am in the camp of thinking its just a TCP Offload card. These are great for hard core network servers, but I am pretty dubious about seeing any real gains for gaming.

That being said, I haven't used it, so I could easily just be wrong.