11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Lurker in Disguise

Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via ICQ to Syldra Send a message via AIM to Syldra Send a message via MSN to Syldra Send a message via Yahoo to Syldra
Syldra needs a new computer
As per title, i needs a new computer.
Since Guildwars is prolly going to be my game-of-choice, I figure I'd want one somewhere around what they recommend:
Quote:
Minimum System Specs:
  • Windows XP/2000/ME/98/Vista
  • Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or equivalent
  • 512 MB RAM
  • DVD-ROM Drive
  • 3 GB Available HDD Space
  • ATI Radeon 8500 or NVIDIA GeForce 3 Series Video Card with 64 MB of VRAM
  • 16-bit Sound Card
  • Internet connection
  • Keyboard and mouse
  • DirectX 8
Recommended System Specs:
  • Windows XP/2000/Vista
  • Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
  • 1 GB RAM
  • DVD-ROM Drive
  • 4 GB Available HDD Space
  • ATI Radeon 9600 or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series video card or above
  • 16-bit Sound Card
  • Internet connection
  • Keyboard and mouse
  • DirectX 9
Other considerations:
  • UofT seem to be having some troubles with Vista connecting to their network - so I'd prefer non-vista.
  • Being a laptop would be very handy.
  • Preferably keeping price to a minimum; i don't exactly have a lot of spare money.
  • I'm not overly concerned about graphics. I'll be fine with everything cranked down so long as it runs well.
So, I was hoping for some recommendations from youses on what'd run decent, without costing overmuch.

(Also, would waiting a month-or-two make any significant difference in prices?)

Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
My IBM Thinkpad T41 is technically below the minimum specs on the video card, and I added a 512 stick of ram to it about a year ago, but aside from that it runs GW quite well. I even turned one of the specs up off the "Low" setting and got no negative affects from it. Anyway, I've been running GW on this computer since 09/2004ish, and it's never had any troubles. Of course, I don't know how much one of these would cost now...but it could give you a place to start looking at least.

(oh and, YAY for GW!)
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Lurker in Disguise

Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Syldra is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via ICQ to Syldra Send a message via AIM to Syldra Send a message via MSN to Syldra Send a message via Yahoo to Syldra
*bonk* clearly needs more input

Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
are you saying my input isn't good enough? You mean you're not going to run out and immediately buy a T41? I'm hurt!

j/k of course. I wish you the best of luck, and am especially looking forward to hearing the responses you get, as I'll be looking for a new computer in the near future. This one's more than 3 years old, and the warantee ran out this month, so I expect it'll die any day now, LoL.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
Could you be a bit more specific with cost issues you have? What kind of range are you talking about? Under $1000, $1000-$1500? That would help out a bit.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:05 AM

dwarfzilla has much to be proud of
dude those recommended specs would run you like 600-800 dollars for a desktop.

im no good at laptops but id guess 1000-1200.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfzilla View Post
dude those recommended specs would run you like 600-800 dollars for a desktop.

im no good at laptops but id guess 1000-1200.
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. . .no.

Guess it's me to the rescue again! Check out my friend's Computer Buying Guide and select your price range. If you're no good at building them yourself, ask a friend who is or track down a white box company to do it for ya. Hope this helps!

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd