11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM

Jica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jica Send a message via AIM to Jica Send a message via MSN to Jica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
Also, the Interleave (vs Fastpath) is actually an error correction algoritm, not a buffering algorith. Its still a valid suggestion though.
Indeed it is, but I don't see that as important in my explanation, since it's irrelevant to my point .

I can only speak for myself, and changing from interleave to fastpath chopped my response time down significantly with games. You don't need error correction on that low a level for gaming anyway. Let the protocols handle that
Old 07-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jica View Post
Indeed it is, but I don't see that as important in my explanation, since it's irrelevant to my point .

I can only speak for myself, and changing from interleave to fastpath chopped my response time down significantly with games. You don't need error correction on that low a level for gaming anyway. Let the protocols handle that
True enough, I just thought it was worth pointing out after I rambled about nagel and stuff.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I have a wicked nice Internet connection with Verizon fios. Yet my ping to Guild Wars is often over 230. This is not a problem as a rule unless I am being blocked by several players on the way to the flag. The problem is not Arenanet, or my ISP. A trace route reveals its freaking Alternet in the middle. Not a damn thing I can do about that.
Roxi hit it on the head. I work for a large cable ISP as a Tier 3 tech (basically when you get to me you're paying extra just for me to talk to you because its your computer or other hardware thats fubar).

Anyway...others have talked about a trace route. to sum that up, basically when you play a game your connection goes through several servers accross the country/globe. when a tracert is done, we see what path and to what servers you take from point a to b. those are called "hops." this could be as few as 3 hops to as many as 20 or more. you may have a fast connection to your ISP but once you leave their servers and backbone (your ISP's ISP) the hops your data is traveling is out of their hands.

only thing you can do is complain to Alternet and your ISP about what paths their backbones are taking to connect to each other. i can guarantee you right now that's going to be a clusterfuck of calling 20 times before you do anything because that means tech support is going to have to bug the network engineers. sadly, getting tech support to actually believe you're having routing issues is hard in itself. you have to be armed with proof...or at least know a bit about what you're talking about.

now your rig is possibly causing some of the problems as well. every mmo you play is taking different paths over the network so they shouldn't all be horrible. now unless your isp is actually the suck, your hardware may also have something to do with it since you say ALL games are performing equally poorly.

i confess i am coming in late to this thread because i never go to the hardware guru section. i do it enough all day - need a break ya know? kind of the same with Ventrilo. My guildmembers complain they never hear me there, I have to explain I wear a headset all day, wearing one all night/days off is the last thing I want to do. Not to mention it completely takes the fantasy out of my fantasy games (excluding raids and guild meetings of course).

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Last edited by MaeveAlleine : 07-17-2007 at 07:31 AM.