11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
Any ISP techs out there?
I have been using BellSouth DSL service for around 4 months now and purchased the 6mg download speed with a 400k upload.

Well needless to say, I can run speed tests that show me recieving those results, but whenever I play ANY online game, I have an atrocious Ping rate. If trying to play BF2142, i get kicked off due to latency, and in GW I lag through any sort of pvp event.

I did not have any problems with my hardware when using cable, but as soon as I moved and switched service I just can not play any games.

My machine was built with top quality products a year and a half ago and I have gone through and reinstalled drivers and everything.

I had a technician come out, he said the line quailty was fine. Im confused.

Can anyone offer advice? *no changing ISP is not an option due to location unless I went with a 1mg Satalite feed*
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Try traceroute. Maybe your ISP is peered with a really crappy provider--it could be anybody between you and the server.

1) Figure out the ip address or hostname of a server you connect to (a typical bad ping time example)
2) run "tracert servername" from the command line
3) Look at the output.

Should be helpful. It always helps me. Always possible there's something horked in your configuration, but that seems unlikely.

(I'm not a network administrator, but I played one during the dot com era.)

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Are you using wireless?
Are you using a SOHO router?
What kind of processor?
How much RAM?
What video card?
Which Anti-Virus/Personal Firewall software are you using?

I assume your using XP?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 AM

Jica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jica Send a message via AIM to Jica Send a message via MSN to Jica
Well, the ISPs use two standards for sending data via DSL.

Fastpath and Interleave.

Practically all ISPs default your connection to interleave.

Interleave means that your modem will wait with sending packets until a certain amount of data as been reached (it's not much, but it can cause delays and poor ping).

Fastpath sends your packets instantly.

Of course, if you play any games online, you will want your modem set to using fastpath. It can improve ping manyfold in most cases.

I don't know of any ISP, who would not change it to fastpath for you, if you called them and asked for it. But using interleave as default causes less "strain" on routers and on their end.

It'll explain why you can get your desired results in download/speed tests but have horrid ping times.

If this is not the problem, it's probably a router issue or poor NAT configuration (although I'd be surprised =).
Old 07-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Enthusiast

Valor has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Valor Send a message via MSN to Valor Send a message via Yahoo to Valor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamujin View Post
Are you using wireless?
Are you using a SOHO router?
What kind of processor?
How much RAM?
What video card?
Which Anti-Virus/Personal Firewall software are you using?

I assume your using XP?

Hrm, when Video cards begin effecting my ping rate I think I may upgrade :P

Thank you Jica and tek, I will look into that.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Hrm, when Video cards begin effecting my ping rate I think I may upgrade :P

Thank you Jica and tek, I will look into that.
LOL, I can tell your not a long time ATI user. Bad video drivers can take a whole system to its knees. In fact, any hardware driver can. Additionally, simpler NIC's require the PC's CPU to service the Adapter. Network performance can be degraded by a highly contended CPU, especially a single core processor.

Really depends what your talking about regarding "bad ping time", but buffering data in a router, does not "strain" a router less, it actually, strains it more. The reason you use "nagel type" alorithms is to reduce the number of small packets (AKA inefficient) that you send. This improves total throughput by helping maintain a high payload to overhead ratio. These buffer algorithms tend to have low timeouts 100-200 ms.

Also, the Interleave (vs Fastpath) is actually an error correction algoritm, not a buffering algorith. Its still a valid suggestion though.

When you say that you have an "atrocious Ping rate", I am thinking something over 200ms. Additionally, the game traffic should be causing any buffers to flush pretty quickly.

What are your "atrocious Ping rates" anyhow to give this question some scale?
Last edited by Kamujin : 07-13-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
not that I'm a techie or anything, in fact my computer knowledge is quite limited compared to many of you here, but my idea of "atrocious" would be above 1000. I've seen mine go as high as 13,000, but that's only for a few seconds, on loading, and usually when I do something stupid like rest my hand on my wireless card (and yes, I know that my ping would be lower if it was on a hardline instead of wireless).

My ping will frequently rise to 2-300 without experiencing more than a fraction of a second of actual lag. When my ping rises over 4-500 that's when I have real difficulties. I guess others have standards much higher than mine.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:09 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I have a wicked nice Internet connection with Verizon fios. Yet my ping to Guild Wars is often over 230. This is not a problem as a rule unless I am being blocked by several players on the way to the flag. The problem is not Arenanet, or my ISP. A trace route reveals its freaking Alternet in the middle. Not a damn thing I can do about that.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
I wish they had fios in Ohio All we have here is cable with hardly anything down or up
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxianna View Post
I have a wicked nice Internet connection with Verizon fios. Yet my ping to Guild Wars is often over 230. This is not a problem as a rule unless I am being blocked by several players on the way to the flag. The problem is not Arenanet, or my ISP. A trace route reveals its freaking Alternet in the middle. Not a damn thing I can do about that.
Just moved and got FIOS. I am pretty haapy with it. It does seem alot of their MAE-East peering is with UUNET/Alternet.