11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Katrar has much to be proud of
Any Star Wars MUSH (any game) vets around?
SW MUSH veterans, no matter the game, drop a line in this thread and tell us who you were, and what/when you played.

~

As for me...

SW3 (Minos Cluster)
I played Minos Cluster in 1996-1997 primarily as Silvin, an operative with the crime family known as "The Company". SW:MC was actually my first true MUSH, and my first Star Wars MUSH (the theme of which I would end up spending the vast majority of my MU* career). As a bit of trivia, my first character on Minos Cluster was a human journalist named Nikto.

SW2 (A New Threat)
I played A New Threat around 1996-2001 as a couple different characters. Early on I was Nikto Talos, at various times the CEO of the Corellian Enginering Corporation, the leader of the independent freedom fighting "Viceroy Fleet", and eventually an Admiral in charge of the Alliance Navy.

Probably my best known SW2 character, though, was "Khalim", a Sith apprentice to Emperor Palpatine, who came to being in the spring of 1999 and lasted until my departure from SW2 in 2001. As Khalim I tried to reach out to as many different RP circles as I could, to spread the RP love.

SW1 (Star Wars MUSH)
The grand-daddy Star Wars MUSH. I had a couple of various characters over the years, though I never got very into any of them (or the MUSH in general), preoccupied as I was on SW2 and SW3. The only exception was a brief period between 2005-2006 when I played another "Silvin". I got involved in a couple of good RP circles, but unfortunately RL intervened (and I just can't get into MUSHing to the same hard core degree as I did in the mid to late 90s) and my character ended up deleting due to inactivity.

SWU (Star Wars Uprising)
My contribution as an administrator was on Star Wars: Uprising MUSH, which I co-founded (as the head architect/builder "Xenon") in 2000 and still exists today in April of 2008 (although in a much altered form).

There were of course many more MUSHes that I frequented over the years. The vast majority were other Star Wars MUSHes but I have fond memories of my brief stint on Shadowrun: Seattle MUSH a long time ago. I played there only a few weeks, leaving only due to having overextended my active games, but I remember it being a place I could have easily called home.

They were all fun, and it's a somewhat melancholy experience recalling the good times.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
I remember playing one, but I couldn't get into it. I don't rememner which though. It was for like 2-3 days.

For some reason sci-fi didn't translate too well for me in a text base game.

gaming news
Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 PM

ieatkillerbees has much to be proud of
I played on SW1 back in the late 90s as Wiyaana. Memories~~
Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 PM

KreedGhost is a jewel in the community KreedGhost is a jewel in the community
One that I got into for about a year back in 2004 was called swcombine it is a well thought out game and it has alot of players. You can join a faction purchase things and the graphics and such are pretty good for it.

I used to play a character on there called Khalon Raee, he was a smuggler.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 PM

rboymtj has much to be proud of
Mush
I was on SW:MC for years, was admin on a few different SW mushes, but not on MC.

Forge on MC.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 AM

Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community Oola is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Oola
I never saw any of these, or I'd have played them all. I have to go check some of them out.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Lazarias has much to be proud of
On SW:MC, I was Terrik, the Imperial Faction Head until the end of MC-proper.

Hello all, been a long time.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Arrakiv has set foot on a distinguished road
I almost started playing SW1 years and years ago, but never ended up finishing the character creation for some reason or another. I actually regret that quite a bit now.

I started playing Star Wars: New Worlds, which is a fork off of the original SW1, a few months back and have been having a blast. Apparently a huge chunk of the remaining SW1 crowd came on over when it forked off, and it seems to have been gaining a fair number of other new people as well.
Watch the Xeno Pro Remove Lag in EQ2

...Have a guild or a clan? Want to break your name out in a big way? Send me a message. But, shh! It is a secret...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Enthusiast

Bonemane is a jewel in the community Bonemane is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Bonemane Send a message via MSN to Bonemane Send a message via Yahoo to Bonemane Send a message via Skype™ to Bonemane
Anyone know any good Star Wars MUDS that are still populated? I'd try MUSHES, but I don't know exactly what they are. Are they the ones where the players make the game, kind of like Second Life, but in text?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Arrakiv has set foot on a distinguished road
MUSHs, in this context, are basically roleplaying environments, where as a MUD is closer to an MMO. Basically, in a MUSH, you'll be interacting entirely with other people and not with NPCs (although they may be NPCs controlled by people). Generally, coded systems are kept to a minimum, although many MUSHs I've seen make use of tabletop roleplaying systems - like the Star Wars MUSHs tend to use West End Games Star Wars RPG, where you perform skill checks to do certain actions, but there's nothing built in to automate stuff and say if you succeeded. Generally, you aren't being awarded for killing things either, like you usually are in a MUD.

A MUCK would be closer to Second Life, I'd think, in that they're focused around allowing players to build objects/areas/etc...
Watch the Xeno Pro Remove Lag in EQ2

...Have a guild or a clan? Want to break your name out in a big way? Send me a message. But, shh! It is a secret...