11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Upgrade time! Help Me
Alright! So it is time for me to step in to the DX10 arena I feel. Mainly because I want to prepare for the HD tuners that are soon to come (ATI OCUR) and I want a bad ass gaming machine. Right now i am running a 3700+ AMD with 2gb corsair DDR2 (dual channel) and a Nvidia 6800 with a 70gb Raptor drive. So I have about 1400 dollars to spend on upgrades.

I need a new PSU because my 5v line is failing (running at around 4.75)

So basically I am looking at a new GFX card/PSU/Monitor. I will be using the monitor as my main TV in my room. ATM I have a 19" and 17" dual dell's, but they are semi-small. So I want a 22+ in screen with a DX10 GFX card and a PSU to support a the GFX card + 4 HD's. I was "browsing" on new egg(no research done yet) and came up with

GFX
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814133187
PSU
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817371002
Mon
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16824116084

I have been out of the "game" for awhile, so to tell you the truth I don't know what to look for. I know my way around a computer, been custom building mine for awhile. Any help apprecitated!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Kvlfrog has much to be proud of
Well, I have been staying in the loop of computer hardware. I'm working on getting my A+ certification so I have to. Well anyway this is what I would recomend for the following three things you listed.
GFX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130072
PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182017
Mon.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001096

I relize that I changed all the things from your list, these are the products I would recommend if you want the best products. If you want to ask for further detail on these and why I chose them feel free to PM me or post again. Also if you wouldn't mind uploading a directx diagnostic file.

To do this
Step One: Click Start, select Run
Step Two: In the Run dialog box, type: dxdiag
Step Three: Save all information into a text file and upload it here.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
I don't really like the PSU selection. I always like going with a trusted brand name like Antec when it comes to the PSU, but I haven't keep up with who's goods and who's not recently. Did you pick that PSU just on price?

Also in regards to the monitor. I really wanted something a little bigger since I am going to be using at as my TV W/ HDMI support to hold me over on the HD content with an Set Top Box until the ocur is rocking on the market as a component and not in a pre-built system. I am not in love with anything I picked out, just my first scan through new egg with out checking any review sites so far.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (49.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 AM

On the psu, I chose it since roswill is a trusted brand now, they make a quality product and have great support. Antec is no longer a superior brand name for the psu market. Since you want a bigger moniter then the one you chose is a good name, just be wary of a few dead pixels. The psu you chose is decnt jsut there is lacking quality control with antec's psus these day.(Its likely that you will have to RMA it.)

If you are willing, another upgrade to consider for increased prefomance is Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 GHz. to a Athlon 64 X2. (though that is up to you.)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Founding Member

Ahh, I see, the last PSU i bought was an Antec True Power which has served me well. Thanks for the heads up though Ya I was looking into several different options, perhaps even getting a new mobo/proc.Those intel Duo sure are shiny, but chances are I will just get a proc.

4800 X2 Socket 939
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103544
or at least something along those lines, still have a week before I upgrade AT LEAST. Plenty of time to check benchmarks and see the bang/buck ratio, any advice would be appreciated. Tomshardware and HardOCP still do good reviews?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 AM

Tom's hardware is a good site from my experince, as too HardOCP from looking at it tonight it looks great. That processor looks great you might want to get a differnt coolling fan, other then stock though.
Last edited by Kvlfrog : 07-09-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Founding Member

Ya, i have never been a big fan of the stock cooling units. I still get worried every time i pop a HS on a PSU I must admit though lol.

BTW welcome to guildcafe, didn't realize you were new!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome, poping a heatsink on the PSU? do you mean CPU?
Was my advice helpful, if so if you have any more questions send me a pm.
Last edited by Kvlfrog : 07-10-2007 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added more information
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Founding Member

You know what i mean And ya it was helpful, should be getting ready to purchase my goodies soon woohoo
Old 07-11-2007, 05:18 AM

Well good luck in your purchases list them here please : )