11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Gift Computers
I would like to buy a reasonable computer for someone as an XMAS gift. Its does not have to be uber, but should be able to at least load up today's modern games--PvP quality performance not required.

Can anybody point me to some good deals?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
price range? desktop/laptop? you gonna build or buy? monitor needed?

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Seems Best Buy always has one or two decent ones on sale this time of year. Might want to check their ad?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
if you want to build one here is a good deal nothing fancy video card might need updating

MB,CPU,Vid Card
http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16813131049
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811208009
Memory, free linux OS if you want to use
http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16820145440
HD,450Watt Power
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822135106

Total Price
99.99+39.99+136.49+68.98-15.00-10.00(rebates)=319.98

Need Microsoft OS?
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/deta...uctID~1717.asp
+87.00
Total Price =407.45

Like I said maybe want to spend a bit more for a better memory card but I am pretty sure this would load anything out now minus most FPS, if you want to do a FPS you NEED a new video card

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Last edited by Shadow : 12-12-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:15 PM
The Pwn Ranger

Charbroil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Charbroil Send a message via MSN to Charbroil Send a message via Yahoo to Charbroil
I bought a Dell pre-made for my Dad with 17" flat panel monitor for 500 bucks this summer... It has pretty good performance for the money... maybe check out their website

Old 12-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Red face
I previously owned a ATI Radeon X700 Pro (256 MB) graphics card, and that wouldn't even run Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Everything checked out, but the Pixel Shader was version 2.0 and SC: DA required v3.0. With todays games, I can guarantee you that they'll be using Pixel Shader 3.0. I bought a Radeon X1950 Pro (256 MB) for $250 at Best Buy. It works great, and it works for HD LCDs. The next step up in performance would be the X1950 XTX, but those are around $500 a pop.

In my opinion, if I were going to upgrade/get a new comp for gaming or heavy graphics, I'd hit the dual-core MB, cram the RAM, and get a decent graphics card. I'm set.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

Jerec is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Jerec Send a message via MSN to Jerec
If you want customization options, try Cyberpower. The prices are dirt cheap, and even though the shipping might take a while, my experience with them was certainly positive. I bought my laptop from them and I couldn't be happier with its performance.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Founding Member

Stickerr has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Stickerr Send a message via MSN to Stickerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerec View Post
If you want customization options, try Cyberpower. The prices are dirt cheap, and even though the shipping might take a while, my experience with them was certainly positive. I bought my laptop from them and I couldn't be happier with its performance.

I've seen Cyberpower to be a horrible online store for computers. From experience I've seen computers come D.O.A. And if there is a problem with the computer you bought it could take up to 3 months to be replaced.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:25 AM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I ended up getting the HP Pavilion Media Center a1610n Desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+, 1024 MB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, SuperMulti DVD Drive) from Amazon for $649.99.
  1. Because it had 5 stars from reviews
  2. Because it was cheap
  3. Because HP has not yet pissed me off unlike Alienware, Dell and Sony
I am sure my son, the recipient, will want to upgrade the RAM some day, but its a decent machine that will get him back on the net so that we can exchange email, etc. while allowing his 3yr old daughter to play games on it.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Voice of Reason

Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community Cleric is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via Skype™ to Cleric
Everything's all good until the 3-year-old finds out about pixel shaders, HD, and quad-cores.