11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM

dwarfzilla has much to be proud of
Exclamation 3 questions
Okey i have 3 questions of varying importance.

I. Im a kid living at home with my parents and i have my own computer that is pass protected. I was wondering if there was a way to log on and load everything first before having to enter my password? like automatically lock my computer 5 min after login or sumtin?

II. We have pretty slow DSL and i was wondering if I would increase my downloading speed by plugging an additional ethernet cable into my modem. Is that possible or would I have to assign different applications to different ports?

III. Which part of my computer should i upgrade/add and what should i get to make my computer the most balanced as possible?

2gb ddr2 ram (2x512 + 1x1024)
gigabyte 8600 gt 256mb
abit AN9 32X mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core 2.2 GHz
250GB HD (using 90GB partition-the rest is unformatted)
WinXP Home
18" CRT
2 speakers

btw im playin LotRO, FEAR, TES4, and CoH (+peggle =])

as a sidenote some couple year old games that i just got have been crashing.
-sid meiers pirates
-beyond good+evil
-bf1942
Last edited by dwarfzilla : 06-25-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
1. You can set a screensaver password, meaning you need to enter a password to use the computer after the screensaver activates.

2. That would do nothing. Your download speed is determined by how fast your provider is. Adding another cable will not double your download speed.

3. How much money do you have to spend? The easiest thing I can think of is to replace your RAM with 2x1024GB sticks. Find out if your Motherboard supports Dual Channel, this is nothing complex, all it involves is plugging your RAM into two specific RAM slots. Dual Channel can in theory, double the performanc eof your RAM. Right now you do not have Dual Channel, all your RAM needs to be dual channel in order for your system to register it as Dual Channel. Also, make sure the RAM you get is the same, your RAM can only function as fast as the slowest stick.

Other than that, you would need to replace your entire computer if you wanted anything better. You should also format the rest of your HDD.

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drevnar View Post
3. How much money do you have to spend? The easiest thing I can think of is to replace your RAM with 2x1024GB sticks. Find out if your Motherboard supports Dual Channel, this is nothing complex, all it involves is plugging your RAM into two specific RAM slots. Dual Channel can in theory, double the performanc eof your RAM.
I second this. The dual-channel ram is (was) one of the best things about socket 939 AMD processors! RAM bandwidth makes a big difference when, for example, your video card zones and starts swapping out textures, and when games try to do "very pretty" special effects.

Heck, you might get a performance improvement (at least in games that don't eat boat loads of RAM) by just pulling the 1G stick. I'm running 1G myself, and for most games it's OK. However, if you're running Vista, ignore this idea!

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 06-29-2007, 06:07 AM

Drifta has much to be proud of
1. When you start your computer you can't load everything and load your password, due to multiple accounts on the computer it is disabled

2. There are a few ways to getting faster internet
a. you can upgrade to cable
b. get fiber optic Ethernet cables
c. Get one of those download accelerator programs

3. How much money are you going to spend on your new rig? I have a few suggestions. The prices of Quad Core is coming down in July 22, so it may consider those.
Also upgrading to LCD is a good idea for gaming, widescreen is getting very popular.
Upgrading to a 5.1 Surround sound will surely get you enjoying your games. Logitech makes some good speakers.
If you have a little extra cash and want to upgrade your graphics card, waiting for the new R600 ATI will be faster than the nVidia 8900 series

Good Luck, Drifta
Old 06-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Unfortunately, you lost me on 1. If you're still a kid, I personally don't believe you should have a password protected computer.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeveAlleine View Post
Unfortunately, you lost me on 1. If you're still a kid, I personally don't believe you should have a password protected computer.
Bah. If parents are concerned enough that he's trying to hide something from them, they can make him put the password in or give it to him and go through whatever they like, and if he refuses, they can take the whole computer away. Password protecting it keeps nosy siblings out, keeps younger children (siblings or visitors) away from inappropriate content, and keeps kids from getting away with saying things like, "Mom, you closed my homework, I spent hours doing that and you didn't save it!" (which admit it, we know, kids would lie about things like that if they thought they could get away with it.) In general it provides kids with a chance to be responsible, parents just have to put a little faith in them.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 PM

dwarfzilla has much to be proud of
this is my own computer and i built it myself on my hard earned money.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
FYI...it's easy to reset the administrator password if your parents decide to confiscate your computer.

An upgrade I would recommend is a low-latency LCD monitor to save your eyes from CRT microwaves.

What DSL modem are you using and what service and plan are you using? The 2nd ethernet port on your motherboard is probably designed for ethernet teaming and would do nothing to speed up your internet because the modem is designed for a 100 Mbit connection.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
Ya go for the nicer LCD then you can have dual screens and if you go to LAN's makes movin it around ALOT easer. you can get a decent 20-22" widescreen LCD for around $200
Old 06-30-2007, 02:38 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfzilla View Post
this is my own computer and i built it myself on my hard earned money.
That's not the point. I don't care if you gave birth to it. And really, my issue has very little to do directly with you, so don't take it personally.

My point is, parents of children who do not watch where their kids go online or what they watch on tv expect society (everyone else) to be your babysitter. I am going out on a limb here and figure thats how your folks may feel.

What I am getting at is if you wind up becoming warped in the head because of what you've been exposed to it's society's fault for allowing that content from the internet and tv to enter your home.

This turns into a censorship issue. My being completely anti-censorship makes your situation bothersome. Its people who want Internet content and TV to be censored before it's sent out to broadcast that don't want to bother taking the effort to control information when it reaches their home.

That's the issue. It has nothing to do with the fact you saved up your allowance and part-time job money kid.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com