11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Multiplayer Strategy & RTS Games

Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Kabol is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Kabol Send a message via Skype™ to Kabol
Exclamation Calling attention to all Starcraft gamers
Hello there, I have a rather sad tale to tell about a past gaming experience (though I mentioned it before in the Starcraft thread).

I just recently reinstalled basically my favorite game of all time, Starcraft, after abandoning it for quite a while for this reason: I had a game folder called "Games" which had my Steam folder, WoW folder, Diablo II folder, WCIII folder, and Starcraft folder all in with it. One day when I was uninstalling Steam because I was done using it (used to play Counter-Strike and Vampire Slayer) when I noticed it was taking quite a while and it was removing some files that had nothing to do with Steam...

So I quickly halted the process, but it was too late, all that remained were a few files left in the actual Steam folder. It had completely deleted my WoW, Diablo II, WCIII, and Starcraft folder. Now, I didn't care about the other three, but anyone who plays SC online will know why I was super pissed about losing my SC folder. It had all my maps in it. EVEN MAPS I MYSELF HAD CREATED. Maps that I had worked really really hard to produce. I was uber pissed...and now I don't even remember the names to all the maps I had made.

Anyways, my point is this: if there are any old school SC players out there, please, check your maps folder, specifically the ones in "Download" and see if you have any of the really old RPGs, RPs, Snipers, Civilizartions, etc etc. Basically really old UMS maps, probably dating all the way back to when Brood War first came out in the late 90's all the way to the present. If you do, I would so appreciate it if you could select these maps and compress them into a .zip, or .rar file using winzip or winrar and then contact me on MSN, or Skype, to transfer the files to me. You would be doing a fellow gamer a huge favor. Please post here or send me a PM about it. Thanks ^_^

Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Sorry to hear. I hope the GuildCafe community is able to help you out.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

I hope so too. I wonder if anyone has a map called "Galactic Civilizations"...it wasn't very good compared to the other Civ maps, but it was one that I co-created. I did all the triggers and some of the unit placements, but he did the terrain (cause I suck at terrain lol) and the rest of the unit placements. Twas fine work, I just never edited the triggers to balance out the cash flow from resource spots.

Anyways, I digress. And thanks for your hopefulness ^^

Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
Suggestion: there are some "undelete" utilities you should be able to find on the Internet (just make sure you download from a reputable source).

Files are not really deleted from your system until they are expunged, which happens when you either (a) run a special expunge utility, or (b) you make new files that overwrite the old content.

In the case of (b), it's possible that some of your files have been overwritten if you've created new files on your filesystem, but you should be able to recover quite a bit of it.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
Suggestion: there are some "undelete" utilities you should be able to find on the Internet (just make sure you download from a reputable source).

Files are not really deleted from your system until they are expunged, which happens when you either (a) run a special expunge utility, or (b) you make new files that overwrite the old content.

In the case of (b), it's possible that some of your files have been overwritten if you've created new files on your filesystem, but you should be able to recover quite a bit of it.
New files on my filesystem? What do you mean by "filesystem."

Also, I guessed this, but I had no idea how to do it. By any chance you know of any good programs for this and/or reputable sites to download one safely? Also, perhaps instructions on how to avoid messing up my system...lol. Thanks though for that information mate.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Alas, I got this Winundelete from windows, and it found nothing but the current maps in my SC folder. I guess I should have probably done this before I reinstalled, because it probably overwrote everything with the same file pathing and all. Can't seem to recover anything from my old download or Maps I Made, folder. It can recover old games I previously uninstalled, but not my maps. *sighs*

Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

No one else has any help to offer?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
Sorry Kabol i ahven't been checking these threads very often. i used to use Restorer2000 Professional. It worked real well for me as a tech at my former job. I haven't needed it since then tho.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keerwen View Post
Sorry Kabol i ahven't been checking these threads very often. i used to use Restorer2000 Professional. It worked real well for me as a tech at my former job. I haven't needed it since then tho.
Hmm...is it free? Doesn't help me if the WinUndelete I was using was right and couldn't find any of my lost maps. Oh well though...thanks anyways ^^

Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Petersnoboard93 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabol View Post
New files on my filesystem? What do you mean by "filesystem."

Also, I guessed this, but I had no idea how to do it. By any chance you know of any good programs for this and/or reputable sites to download one safely? Also, perhaps instructions on how to avoid messing up my system...lol. Thanks though for that information mate.

http://bitsdujour.com/blog2/wordpress/?p=392

or

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....overy&tag=srch

To recover files