11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
The Science of Dice
I thought it was interesting to hear about how dice are made and how the different manufacturing processes affect the way the dice roll.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 PM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Well now I'm really unsure about buying dice! Where can I get some of this guy's dice, and not the generic ones?

Still - very cool and interesting.
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
This is basically an advertisement, but I found it an interesting watch anyway.
The blemishes in his dice may not stick out, but he doesn't mention if the centre of mass is actually in the geometrical centre, which is also an important factor.
(Pet peeve: People who use the word "dice" when referring to a single die.)
Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I found the videos fascinating. Long though. I now know that if I really really need to roll a twenty, which die to roll.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
Isn't the fun in sometimes not getting the roll you thought you wanted?

Interesting though.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community arislyn is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaboonOfTheYard View Post
Well now I'm really unsure about buying dice! Where can I get some of this guy's dice, and not the generic ones?

Still - very cool and interesting.
Here ya go! http://www.gamescience.com/home

Now I know why that one die hates me with a passion. It's not that it was formed by tiny, misshapen gnomes whose sole purpose is to instill misfortune into every surface of my polyhedral savior. It's just egg-shaped.

Though, I'm not sure that I'm entirely willing to rule out the gnomes...
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 PM

BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community BaboonOfTheYard is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by arislyn View Post
Here ya go! http://www.gamescience.com/home

Now I know why that one die hates me with a passion. It's not that it was formed by tiny, misshapen gnomes whose sole purpose is to instill misfortune into every surface of my polyhedral savior. It's just egg-shaped.

Though, I'm not sure that I'm entirely willing to rule out the gnomes...
Thanks! I'm definitely buying some of his.
"The power of 7 is a major influence in the world. From ancient writings, to days of the week, to number of Harry Potter books, to alchemical thingies, to "Shichinin no samurai" - seven has indeed proven itself as a lucky number."
-ThinkGeek