11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
What game in 2008 surprised you?
What game came out in 2008, that you played, surprised you because of how much you liked it and enjoyed it?

Maybe it was a game that you didn't have high expectations for, maybe it was a game that you didn't hear anything about but it blew you away, etc.

Share your stories!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Kaboobie has much to be proud of
Honestly, left 4 dead was my suprising title. I had a feeling it was going to be just like every other attempt at a good zombie game but it definately got it's shit together and blew me away so far.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 PM

moominboy has much to be proud of
Eve Online. I thought it was all about mindless PvP and older players ganking newbies (because of the real-time skill training), but boy was I wrong. It's not a game, it's an economic simulator!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Once again, Left 4 Dead has to be my biggest surprise and I think I've figured out why. Playing infected is essentially a grief session, as I'm trying to stop people from progressing. Not surprising, this was right up my alley.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 AM

DSEL has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to DSEL
For me it was Geometry Wars. Iv heard about it and whatnot but never really paid any attention. Then one day I got bored and started going through the demos on my 360 and found it, played it and was instantly addicted.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:34 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
Once again, Left 4 Dead has to be my biggest surprise and I think I've figured out why. Playing infected is essentially a grief session, as I'm trying to stop people from progressing. Not surprising, this was right up my alley.
That's actually one of the reasons I really like Left4Dead as well. I found scheming together with teammates on how to kill the opponents as fast as possible to be quite fun
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 AM
GDNA Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSEL View Post
For me it was Geometry Wars. Iv heard about it and whatnot but never really paid any attention. Then one day I got bored and started going through the demos on my 360 and found it, played it and was instantly addicted.
Geometry Wars 2 definitely impressed us at gamerDNA. We had tons of fun playing it co-op in our office
Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Enthusiast

Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community Wingman709 is a cornerstone of the community
I gotta go with Dead Space. Yeah the story felt like I had seen it before in any movie about Aliens, but the game was intense and fun.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

Jaraj is a jewel in the community Jaraj is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to Jaraj
For me it was Fallout 3 I had definate opinions on what they should and shouldn't change in a fallout game. They did exactly what I didn't want them to, but in a better way than I imagined.
But I now they need to make a DLC, a pack mule!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM

doxxan is community member of note
Left 4 Dead, hands down. I didn't even hear about it until release.

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."