11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 AM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Google is perpetually in beta!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
I've been using Chrome as my primary browser since its release, to give it a fair long-term use test. So far I really like it.

A few websites whine at me about unsupported browsers, but otherwise work fine. Some Facebook applications hang on AJAX requests, so those I have to reopen in Firefox.

I wasn't a huge add-on user in Firefox, so I'm not feeling lost without them... with the exception of AdBlock. I've worked around it a bit by redirecting the major advertising websites to 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file :oD.

The most frustrating bug is an issue with the Flash plugin - sometimes it just stops working, resulting in videos playing only their first few seconds before hanging, until I completely restart Chrome.

The biggest advantage to me is the "superbar" - it's already changed the way I interface with search, Wikipedia, and my history. For search, I used to hit ctrl/cmd-L and then tab to the search field. For Wikipedia, I'd usually start typing "en." and then type in the name of the page I wanted. For history, I'd scroll through the menu or extended listing. Now I do that all through Chrome's bar, and I find myself trying to do it using the location bar in other browsers (Safari, Firefox, IE, etc.). It is definitely better than Firefox 3's.

At this point, I'm waiting on a Mac version for my home computer, and some bug fixes, but I'm planning on sticking with it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 AM

Quilon has much to be proud of
As someone who does standards based web design for a few classes I've found Chrome has a few quirks that makes it not display things as properly like Firefox. But its better than other *cough*IE*cough*. Definitely a strong secondary browser in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 AM

K1LLZ1LLA has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilon View Post
As someone who does standards based web design for a few classes I've found Chrome has a few quirks that makes it not display things as properly like Firefox. But its better than other *cough*IE*cough*. Definitely a strong secondary browser in my opinion.

yes, but nothing beats my sexy custom firefox thats something other browsers just dont understand. well knowing google im sure customization and browser gadgets will galore before we know it
Old 12-05-2008, 09:53 AM

starcomusa30273 has much to be proud of
I looked at it, but once I saw the EULA I decided to go back to my IE8 Beta 2!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Theo has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I installed it and messed with it when it first came out, but I think I will still stick with FireFox for now.