11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXBOXnVANBC View Post
Can you image doing the basic course over & over , just to be able to play a RANKED MATCH !!!!
No because unlike you I would get past it in the first try and never have to do it again. It's also not the fault of the developers. Developers can't control how people decide to play their games.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM

MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC MRXBOXnVANBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo View Post
No because unlike you I would get past it in the first try and never have to do it again. It's also not the fault of the developers. Developers can't control how people decide to play their games.
Ya they could fix it but like the Multiplier glitch , they want their games to die so you will go out and buy the next new better version . Hey is that a two toe or a three never mind .
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Syrra is a jewel in the community
I think it would be nice if more games had more ways to prevent new or inexperienced players from being randomly put in with people that are going to kick their ass.

I'm awful at PvP of any type, and I know I am, so I generally avoid games like FPSes. However, I also know that if I practiced more I probably wouldn't be that bad. It's difficult to practice against some people though, you know?

(And practice in the single-player campaigns isn't really the same thing, I know those little guys running around are just predictable algorithms. In PvP those are *people* and that tends to unhinge me.)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrra View Post
I think it would be nice if more games had more ways to prevent new or inexperienced players from being randomly put in with people that are going to kick their ass.

I'm awful at PvP of any type, and I know I am, so I generally avoid games like FPSes. However, I also know that if I practiced more I probably wouldn't be that bad. It's difficult to practice against some people though, you know?

(And practice in the single-player campaigns isn't really the same thing, I know those little guys running around are just predictable algorithms. In PvP those are *people* and that tends to unhinge me.)
I dont know what bugs me more noobs who ask whats the jump button or the top players who take the easy way out ! Re ; shooting numbs with guns that should be used to kill tanks !
Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Ya they could fix it but like the Multiplier glitch , they want their games to die so you will go out and buy the next new better version . Hey is that a two toe or a three never mind .
that is just simply not true. if a game is riddled with gliches, people wont play it, and likely wont have any interest in the developers next game (thinking back on previous releases).

Games die because technology, graphics, and new ideas come along. Developers don't need to create a game with bugs to insure its death... in fact it would benefit them most if they could create a game with as few bugs as possible.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredarmando
Anyway, I think the main thing is good sportsmanship, isn't it? And I firmly believe you can show good sportsmanship and still kick ass.
Totally. Back in the UT 2003(?) days I'd always come up within the top 10%. I never cheat. I only played maybe 5 hours a week though. I never played "to win" I played for fun.

However, you may want to consider other advantages / disadvantages. Example: I noticed when I got my 1920x1200 monitor my kill rate went up. Why? Higher resolution = higher accuracy. Similarly when I got a better mouse again kill rate improved. Again, higher accuracy.

So then, when talking about home play you must ask yourself - is that person with the $2,500 computer and broadband "cheating" compared to the guy who only has an $800 computer and is on dialup? (Does dialup even exist these days, heh) You also may start to ask yourself what counts as 'cheating' with tech and what doesn't.

As example, I'd love to get one of those new SteelSeries WoW mice. Would my ability to shift between hotkey pages quickly be considered cheating? I myself don't use macros, so I'd just use it for quick hotkey page swapping and higher accuracy. But, if I decided to use the D-pad to move as well as the keyboard, pulling off some crazy movements, would that be "cheating"?

Anyways... if everyone 'plays fairly' then it comes down to skill/knowledge vs. skill/knowledge. The better player should win.

Quote:
I think stricter recruiting guidelines and a more selective process can fix a lot of those problems. However, we have two leaders and although we're both very good friends, we don't always agree on everything. LOL
Though my site links don't work due to the domain being down, you may want to skim it and get some ideas. But yes, a unified belief in the players will yield the best results in terms of 'are they playing morally/ethically how you'd like them to'.

http://www.everbecoming.com/gauntlet/
Since the domain name isn't currently registered, copy and paste that in front of the attempted domain name.

Example:
Ceremony of arms default link fails.
http://www.gauntletguild.com/soldier.html
Replace with
http://www.everbecoming.com/gauntlet/soldier.html

In that example you'll see there are 'checks and balances' for things you are concerned about. If there is enough interaction between members, these things will be brought up during rank elevation. You, as a leader person, can decide at that time if this is still the kind of member you want in your guild/clan.

My guild never actually 'got off the ground' because we peaked at only 10 members and went down from there. But they all really loved the idea of the structure and ceremonies, and I've heard from several PvP based people they would have loved a guild with this much formal (and RP) structure. We only actually managed to have about a half dozen meetings, but every time people socalized, got to meet one another "in person" (regardless of level difference), traded items, helped each other out with crafting items others needed, etc.

The players should 'self regulate' to some degree though. Like if there are 3 players and one does something that the other 2 consider cheating I'm sure you'll hear about it, but if all 3 agree to it, at least at some level, then it would continue. Once the balance sways in a direction you don't agree with that behavior would start to go unchecked and you may need/want to start purging out players en-mass. Similarly, players who hear that 'you want style A' and they don't agree to it (like they cheat a lot and you want a "fair play policy") they should voulentarily start to leave once said policy is enforced.

I never play to "win" I always play games to have fun. "Winning" may come as a result of having fun though. Like I tend to play MMOGs a lot, and as such I'll often go to a lot of places, do a lot of quests, do a bunch of dungeons, and I sometimes level faster than others and on rare occassion have more interesting loots. The focus of my play is having fun. I don't power level through these places, or request to be let in on every raid or dungeon run on the planet. I just 'let things fall where they may' and people of like mind call me up. If the result is more than someone who really grinds it or tries to get those things on purpose, so be it. If not, that's fine with me because I'm acomplishing my goal of having fun.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Good to see some people want to play straight up still ! But the majority want to hit the A button and score instant success . They want to be on the leader board any way they can get it . Glitch en , camping , boosting , worm holing ( under the map ) , God glitching ( flying in the sky above everyone) , or just playing like a cheese ball with the easy crap . Well the people who play and cheat , i say SMASH THEM ! At least thats what i do . I hunt people , i run past or through the other team and i hunt the Goof WRECKING THE GAME FOR HIS TEAM & MINE ! Ya you play like a guppy and your on my team , not for long . I ask nice that you stop Pimp in the noobs and if you DONT COMPLY ! I make you cry like a little Camp Scout Girl you are ! So maybe hot keys aren't cheating , BUT YA THEY ARE WHEN YOUR THE ONLY ONE CHEATING WITH THEM !!!!! Best fix get Rid of the LEADER BOARDS ! The last game i mastered FFOW , the #1 player only played 2 VS 2s , on small maps against NOOBS ! Wow i Enjoyed WRECKING HIS STATS & HIS GOOD TIME OF SCREWIN WITH NOOBS ! Probably legal to pimp 1 map , hey how about the more you play a map the more the game takes away ? Think about it the only ADVANTAGE YOU WILL HAVE OVER THE NOOBS IS YOUR OWN SKILL !!!! WOW WHAT A COCEPT FAIR PLAY ! I turn OFF game features like AIMERS & HUD ! Why , so its a little bit More FUN ! So if your really good at a game , do it for the Game . SMASH THE CAMP ~ PERKERS WHO NUBB KILL ! Let them know that there TRASH and that PIMPIN YOUR WAY TO THE TOP IS CRAP ! If you only play for fun , well next time your playing with a goofball ask why they are doing it ? They'll probably say "CAUSE I CAN & ITS FUN !!!!! "
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgra View Post
that is just simply not true. if a game is riddled with gliches, people wont play it, and likely wont have any interest in the developers next game (thinking back on previous releases).

Games die because technology, graphics, and new ideas come along. Developers don't need to create a game with bugs to insure its death... in fact it would benefit them most if they could create a game with as few bugs as possible.
YA THEY CAN, 0CT 06 . 2 Guys were havind a glitch off in BATTLE FIELD 2 ! WHEN they got up to 1300 i ask about the mutipler glitch and was in formed it just came out . It was real easy just jump in and out and your SCORE DOUBLED !
Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community Batgra is a paragon of the community
Okay, you missed the entire point and posted something totally irrelevant, that has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Yes people can take advantage of glitches, you didn't need to post an example. Its an unfortunate fact, that games have bugs, and when people discover them they take advantage.

The point was, Bugs are not intentionally included in a game so people will stop playing, and move on to the next "better game" - that kind of thinking is just moronic and overly cynical.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batgra View Post
Okay, you missed the entire point and posted something totally irrelevant, that has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Yes people can take advantage of glitches, you didn't need to post an example. Its an unfortunate fact, that games have bugs, and when people discover them they take advantage.

The point was, Bugs are not intentionally included in a game so people will stop playing, and move on to the next "better game" - that kind of thinking is just moronic and overly cynical.
hey i was so # 1 at this game , you dont think after 2000 hours i wouldn't have found the glitch myself ?