11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Tips on painting Gears of War logo?
Yo, haven't posted in a while cuz I'm in the middle of moving / exams / gaming.

But as my new room is completely empty, I decided it might be pro to paint something on it...

Seeing as GoW2 is coming, I decided I want to paint the GoW logo... Painted all my walls white, and the biggest one black...

But the problem is painting the actual logo =/ Anybody got experience with this? Is it better to spray it on there grafitti style? Or actually trace it somehow.

This is the logo

Any suggestions are welcome (also if you think this is prolly the worst idea ever).
Old 11-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Must Be Evil

Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Mia is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Well, how good are you with a can of spray paint?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community Pocketwolf is a paragon of the community
You can actually get wallpapers made to size that are professionally printed, though I'm pretty sure it'll cost you way too much. From the look of the logo I'd suggest using sponges and spraycans, not brushes.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
/Agree with Pocketwolf, Sponges are the way to go. Draw your design on the wall as best you can using a pencil and then use use the sponge and paint to fill it in. Remember to keep some black paint handy, so you can correct any mistakes (AFTER you've finished with the design).
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM

wrath99 has much to be proud of
Find a large high-res image of the logo to use as a guide. carfully pencil the design onto the wall, then section it off into grids like a pie. paint section by section very slowly. Also use sponges and spray paint and keep some black paint on hand just in case. Above all just take your time and have patients and you should be good.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
I vote natural sponge with oils. I think acrylics are going to dry up too fast and I think you need a wet black background. I am not an expert by any means, but that's what I would try.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
GuildCafe Theme Designer

Zel is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to Zel
Actually I do recommend acrylics. I have painted very, very large wall murals before spending many hours working with the cheap kinds of acrylic paint that come in the small plastic bottles. Cheaper brands like folkart and ceramcoat actually come in a matte finish which I prefer over the shinier finish you get from more expensive acrylics... like the more 'pro' looking brands that come in a tube.. those tend to coat a lot thicker and have a shiny finish... I find that undesirable for wall art which I think should just be matte and not build up a bunch of layers of paint. Also Acrylics will not react in any way with the latex wall paint, which is something i've heard oil paint can do with certain plastics so I've avoided experimenting with it in most of my projects. (I model and paint fantasy figures... or used to when I had more spare time, heh)

And sponges are right on the money with getting the kind of textured effect you see on that gears of war logo.

When I painted wall murals many years ago I actually had access to an overhead projector... an antique piece of equipment now I suppose, hehe... but if you know someone who is a teacher or a sunday-school teacher perhaps they'll let you borrow one for a weekend. You can buy printable-transparancy film from an office or art supply store that works with any inkjet or laser printer to put that logo onto the transparent film for you, and you can then project it onto the wall for very easy tracing. Also I think kinkos can print onto transparancy for you.

Currently, I own what's called an opaque projector... it just uses bright lights, mirrors, and lenses internally on a regular piece of paper to project that image for you. Mine is a very large, industrial one that is bolted to my drafting table. However I've seen small portable versions of this at Michaels... I think for around thirty dollars. That's probably something you'd want if you're planning on enlarging designs onto walls or large banners on a regular basis... but for a single project if you can get ahold of a projector from a school or church just temporarily it would make doing this very easy.

edit: also I'd avoid using spray paint since it takes practice to control the results. I'd just stick to acrylics and sponges over a traced pencil outline.
Last edited by Zel : 11-03-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
My tip: fly Zel out there to do it.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
Ha, thanks all. I'll post a pic if I ever get to it. Sounds like quite some work. Acryllics, maybe I'll pull one of those arty emo's of the street and pay him a tenner... Or a bum. Or a mexican, do we have mexicans in europe?