11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Hodge Podge

Old 10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

snowkissed is a jewel in the community snowkissed is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Skype™ to snowkissed
Mmm. I personally find Nickelback contrived. All of their songs sound the same. In fact, there was this sound file that I had that actually layered one Nickelback song over the other - one song in the left speaker, another in the right speaker. They synced exactly in terms of the rhythm and even the melody was extremly similar. You could easily change your equalizer from left to right and there wouldn't be any distortion or an interruption in the music.

But, I liked them when they first came out. It was as songs kept coming out that I noticed how similar it all was.

Breaking Benjamin is pretty good though.

My tastes lately have been more metal, but I love just about everything.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhaegarTargaryen View Post
I've had that happen, but there are some genres I will not touch, like Rap, Hiphop, and pop.

But also there are some bands that never seem to grow old. Iron Maiden, Hammerfall(ZOMG 90's! RUN), Eagles, The Beetles, The Who, White Lion, those lines.
Agreed on vintage rock. (I don't want stuff from our generation called "Oldies" I vote for a switch to vintage it sounds cooler. )

However, I will touch those genres as well. Just a bit more selectively than I am about rock/metal/etc. Depends on my mood.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Enthusiast

sororitygirl is community member of note
Yeah I felt the same as Snowkissed for a long time; it all kind of sounds the same. And there's still songs of theirs I really don't like or think are just kind of thoughtlessly made for mass consumption, but you know... I just accepted that to a certain extent all musicians cop out a bit like that. I know about the layered music file you're talking about and while that's extremely bad PR, I'm sure you could easily do the same with so many of what we call the greatest bands of all time...

I've accepted it now. In my opinion their songs are still often very catchy and fun to sing along or rock out to, and I really like some of their lyrics. Nobody's perfect but Nickelback isn't bad =)
Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

Tagon is a cornerstone of the community Tagon is a cornerstone of the community Tagon is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via MSN to Tagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhaegarTargaryen View Post
I've had that happen, but there are some genres I will not touch, like Rap, Hiphop, and pop.

But also there are some bands that never seem to grow old. Iron Maiden, Hammerfall(ZOMG 90's! RUN), Eagles, The Beetles, The Who, White Lion, those lines.
Avoiding some genres of music can cause you to miss some really good stuff.

For example Lenka gets the pop label all the time which is odd.

I also see Kerli listed as pop

And then bands like MGMT seem to always be labeled alternative which it kind of fits in but really it is dance with a techno feel.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 PM

Squirrelznflight has much to be proud of
I enjoy "Far Away" as well. I'm remarkably devoid of all knowledge as to when albums come out, band names in general, and names of people in various groups, so it's a sign of epic win that I can remember Nickelback.