11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
I don't really know where that law is written down, to me that is essentially the same thing. Two different products, competing with eachother, and they should be required to cooperate? It's as much anti-consumer of Sony and MS not to cooperate as it is of Activision and Harmonix/MTV games.
Games and their peripherals are different than Platforms. PS3 and 360 are platforms with totally different hardware that you have to take into account when developing software, where the games and their peripherals are totally separate (and the hardware involved with each peripheral is totally separate).

For example, the reason why you can't use a 360 controller with a PS3 is because it's different hardware (bluetooth on PS3 where the 360 uses a proprietary wireless tech), which would both need to be included in one instrument, which could theoretically happen...but it would be much more expensive.

All that said, the original argument was over whether it's lame that Activision did this..and in my opinion, it is. Their overly aggressive stance towards Harmonix/Rock Band 2 has really bothered me over the past year, and it's not all about this instance of instrument compatibility. For me it started with Red Octane blocking Harmonix's patch to allow GH controllers and RB controllers to work on eachothers' games, then continued with how much trash Neversoft/Activision has talked about Harmonix and Rock Band (at one point saying that 'Rock Band controllers are shit' in interviews). It all amounts to a very sour taste in my mouth and all the negativity helps drive the divide between players in each franchise and make people want to choose sides, imo.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
Quote:
Lame from a costumer PoV? Absolutely. But as a human being, living in a western society, you have to understand that everything revolves around money. Such is the beauty of capitalism. I certainly don't blame Activision, I would've done the same thing if I was sitting on a goldmine (Ok, silver, or even tin).
I wasn't making a claim that capitalism is fundamentally flawed. I fully acknowledge that Activision's move in this case is money-based. I'm claiming that it's anti-competitive, which tends to break markets in various sad ways (or, at least, suppresses the natural advantages of a market, such as diverse innovation). While there is some innovation across console systems (and PC/Mac), there's heavy lock-in. I think that's the area where a little regulatory nudge might help out, at least in terms of securing consumer rights to choose. It's also better from an engineering perspective - standards arise for good reason.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
Games and their peripherals are different than Platforms
Yes ofcourse, yet from a buisness perspective it really is the same thing. Sure it would be easier for Activions to make sure that both controllers work for their games than it would be for Sony and MS, but why would they? Why aid your competitor?

Helping your competitor/cooperating with them doesn't always help you sell things, and the people who buy these games (I'll generalize and say "Casual"/"Mainstream" gamers) don't really know that Activision is doing this, they won't refrain from buying these games because of this. So from a buisness perspective this probably won't hurt them more than help them, even though we (The more informed, more "hardcore" gamers), might not like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
All that said, the original argument was over whether it's lame that Activision did this..and in my opinion, it is.
And I'd disagree. I'd do the same thing if I was in charge.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes ofcourse, yet from a buisness perspective it really is the same thing. Sure it would be easier for Activions to make sure that both controllers work for their games than it would be for Sony and MS, but why would they? Why aid your competitor?
It's not so much aiding your competitor as giving you a wider audience. How many people that have already bought Rock Band or Rock Band 2 will go out and buy GHWT if they need to spend $180 for the bundle because the controllers they already have wont work? I bet it is not nearly as many who would have bought the game if they could use the controllers they already have.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo View Post
It's not so much aiding your competitor as giving you a wider audience. How many people that have already bought Rock Band or Rock Band 2 will go out and buy GHWT if they need to spend $180 for the bundle because the controllers they already have wont work? I bet it is not nearly as many who would have bought the game if they could use the controllers they already have.
Not to mention the amount of confusion and frustration from the consumer. I've worked retail before, and people REALLY hate situations like this where their kid already has X instrument/thing and it won't work with the new thing. Giving people a negative experience with your brand is not ideal.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo View Post
Perhaps, Activision made that decision, I really doubt that they did it without considering that. I'm sure they believe that they won't lose costumers over the issue, wheter this is true or not, I don't know.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM

Farrhago has much to be proud of
It's kind of like ordering a ban on speaking in passive sentences. One way or another, it's gonna happen.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 AM

XxSupadupaxX has much to be proud of
If you own the XBox 360 version the guitars are compatible with both games. I use my rockband guitar for world tour, and vice versa.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Cormyre has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Cormyre Send a message via AIM to Cormyre Send a message via MSN to Cormyre Send a message via Yahoo to Cormyre
The first game that doesn't let me use my GH2 Xplorer is out the door... I bought the RB1 set just because I had to, since it was the first one with a drum set, but I've never moved past my Xplorer, she's broke in and blanketed with Cradle of Filth stickers

It shocked me that GHWT still worked with it, and even more surprising is that the buttons from the Xplorer still work during the tapping sections (unlike RB)