11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Music Games

Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM

Dess has much to be proud of
Activision Debacle
So what do you guys think about Activision prohibiting the use of rockband controllers with guitar hero world tour? I find it to be quite a funny attempt to get you to buy only their stuff.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...nd-fine-print/
(There was also an article on Kotaku)
Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

Mumbo has set foot on a distinguished road
Do the Rock Band controllers really not work with World Tour? The way I read that they were just saying they don't officially support the controller so they don't have to worry about do customer service for the other controllers. If the game really doesn't work work other controllers then I think it is a poor attempt at Activision to get more money and has made it real easy for me to decide to not buy that game.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Dess has much to be proud of
I am pretty sure the controllers work but that Activision just isn't happy about it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Sensational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dess View Post
So what do you guys think about Activision prohibiting the use of rockband controllers with guitar hero world tour? I find it to be quite a funny attempt to get you to buy only their stuff.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...nd-fine-print/
(There was also an article on Kotaku)
Seems like a smart move, why would you want your own peripherals useable with a competitors product? That would be retarded from a buisness perspective. It's not like you're bitching about PS3 controllers not working for the 360, and vice versa, so why these?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
I believe the Guitar Hero EULA explicitly states you can't use any third party controllers (so no generics either), just their official guitars and maybe the keyboard on the PC/Mac version. Personally, I don't think they can actually enforce that claim (see for example AT&T losing the ability to lock down what devices you could connect to the phone network, ushering in a telecom revolution), but IANAL.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
Seems like a smart move, why would you want your own peripherals useable with a competitors product? That would be retarded from a buisness perspective. It's not like you're bitching about PS3 controllers not working for the 360, and vice versa, so why these?
I would argue that controllers connecting via proprietary things is lame, although I understand the software motivation behind it.

This is especially lame in the case of Xbox controllers, which are USB but with a custom connector (see also the previous generation of Apple USB Keyboards, which came with a special notch/pin in their extension cables so the cable could only be used with their keyboard).

It's also why I approve of things like the Wiimote, which uses standard Bluetooth and was easily reverse engineered for use with PCs and Macs. Best media remote out there for Mac, IMO, and it doesn't require a special USB dongle either.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
gamerDNA Staff

Imran is a cornerstone of the community Imran is a cornerstone of the community
The big difference between a drum set and a controller (to me) is that a controller doesn't take up 1/4th of my roon.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED Sensational CLASSIFIED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjallstrom View Post
I would argue that controllers connecting via proprietary things is lame, although I understand the software motivation behind it.
Lame from a costumer PoV? Absolutely. But as a human being, living in a western society, you have to understand that everything revolves around money. Such is the beauty of capitalism. I certainly don't blame Activision, I would've done the same thing if I was sitting on a goldmine (Ok, silver, or even tin).
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
GDNA Community Manager

QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence QforQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to QforQ Send a message via MSN to QforQ Send a message via Skype™ to QforQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational View Post
That's not really a very good argument. People don't expect for controllers from different platforms to work together (though that would be awesome..), but controllers for the same platform should work. This is a decision that is anti-consumer and very bad for your PR, in my opinion. Especially when it was previously announced by the publishers that all three music games coming out this winter (RB2, GHWT and Rock Revolution) would all be cross-compatible. To have that not be true is very lame...and like previously mentioned, makes it hard for me to justify the purchase of GHWT when I already bought/own the Rock Band 2 set.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Savant, but with a star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
That's not really a very good argument. People don't expect for controllers from different platforms to work together (though that would be awesome..), but controllers for the same platform should work.
I don't really know where that law is written down, to me that is essentially the same thing. Two different products, competing with eachother, and they should be required to cooperate? It's as much anti-consumer of Sony and MS not to cooperate as it is of Activision and Harmonix/MTV games.

The only thing, as you mentioned, that is wrong is that they previously mentioned that the controllers would be cross-compatible and that they're now backing out on that. But that's nothing news, people and companies back out of deals everyday.