11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
Ventrilo is all about optimizing the usage of our brains. There are two parts to how this helps gameplay: first, reading is a neurological hack, which uses our visual cortex to recognize symbols and then link those to linguistic concepts in the speech center. That means that if you're reading, you're much less able to take in large-scale visual input, like the fire you're standing in (this is why alert mods that put text in a HUD right over your avatar are useful).

Second, typing often requires you transfer your keyboard to a text box and away from controlling your character. That's bad for the raid leader, who probably has other things to do, and that's bad for you, because you can't move or use abilities while typing.

In my raiding alliance, not everyone uses a microphone, either for comfort reasons or not owning one. We do require that everyone be able to listen. I believe we have one member who has some kind of speech-to-text setup due to a hearing problem.

Cognitively, in my own experience, I can talk out loud or listen while doing something else, but I find it difficult to read and do anything else, or read with distractions in the area.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjallstrom View Post
Second, typing often requires you transfer your keyboard to a text box and away from controlling your character. That's bad for the raid leader, who probably has other things to do, and that's bad for you, because you can't move or use abilities while typing.
wwwwwwwssaaddwwaasdds

I remember when that first happened to me I removed it all again using Backspace.
I quickly figured out just pressing Enter helped save at least some of my health.

I completely agree with your post.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM

Hagon has much to be proud of
After being one that was adverse to using any VOIP communication, I finally began using it @3 years ago and frankly I don't think I'd ever run a guild or be in one that didn't use it now. I've just found too many advantages to using it I guess.

A couple of the major advantages for me personally are;

I'm not the fastest typer in the world, and I used to miss out communicating an extreme amount of info because of that (I also don't have to divert my eyes from the action on the screen to the chat box as often)

I've found that it's a much better way to get to know your guild mates. You tend to get a much better sense of the real person in my opinion.

There are certain disadvantages I've seen though, just in the spirit of offering a balanced opinion.

Sometimes arguments and such can tend to flare up much quicker when using VOIP, especially when in an intense in-game situation where people's adrenaline is already heightened.

For me personally, I tend to use, well lets just say rather colourful language sometimes in real life, and I sometimes forget myself when talking on VOIP. Depending on what channel you're in that can be a problem.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community Kjallstrom is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to Kjallstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Kjallstrom Send a message via Skype™ to Kjallstrom
I think VOIP actually reduces the chance of argument... you get tone of voice, so something that might sound obnoxious in written text comes out more nuanced.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence Drunkenfairy is bathed in a white light of excellence
Half the time my guildmates are on vent in raiding downtime playing other games. I definitely agree that you can't beat VoIP for PvE/Raiding and PvP coordination and harmony. It's a LOT faster than typing things out. Once you see the difference it makes in gameplay and reaction time, you'll wonder how you functioned without it.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Savant

Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community Retodon8 is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to Retodon8 Send a message via MSN to Retodon8 Send a message via Yahoo to Retodon8 Send a message via Skype™ to Retodon8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjallstrom View Post
I think VOIP actually reduces the chance of argument... you get tone of voice, so something that might sound obnoxious in written text comes out more nuanced.
Agreed.
Sometimes friends and I "insult" each other, but our tones of voice make it quite clear it's not serious.
You just can't do that in text; even if you use emoticons it isn't always exactly clear.

I suppose it can be easier to get into an argument with VOIP sometimes.
It is easier to speak than to type, and perhaps some people figure it's too much work to type, and just leave it.
Then again getting all worked up about something and not finding the time to vent isn't good either.
Like Hagon said though, if you're prone to using harsh language, you shouldn't forget that you're not talking to a computer, but to actual people at the other end.
Try to be nice and if you're really annoyed by something dumb you think somebody else did, remember that it may very well be a better idea to discuss it after that game.

Hagon also mentioned typing takes time, especially if you're not so good at it.
It's more the other way around for me.
I'm a fast reader, but while playing I often forget the whole communication section of the HUD, or just get distracted and miss a few crucial sentences.
With voice I usually don't miss anything.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

sororitygirl is community member of note
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlazaro View Post
Our GW alliance uses these peeps. I love their payment options and we've had no probs in terms of lag/connections etc:

http://www.instantventrilo.com/
That's where I bought my vent too, after looking into several companies' options and payment plans. No problems and I got to name the server after our guild =)
Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Exitwound has much to be proud of
i agree with with you there.
Having played competetive counterstrike and high level raids in WoW,some form of voice coms is imo essential,it can get hectic and just being able to shout in vent the healer has agro will prevent many a wipe.
it is of great benefit to the raid leader to be able to to communicate tactics especially for someone who may be new to that particular encounter.
you will be pleasantly surprised by how useful voice coms are if you have never used them before
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

sororitygirl is community member of note
It is stellar for bonding too :-)
I ogle peoples' sexy accents, sometimes hear their kids in the background, or spouses yelling for dinner, and of course some of the best convos have been via ventrilo. Makes you feel like you really are playing with real people! I don't think I would be able to consider myself such good friends with people from Russia, Scotland, England, Australia, and everywhere else if I was just text chit chatting and pressing game buttons with em. Voice chat is the next level before you actually go out and have pizza with em (and oh yeah - done that!!) =)