11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 AM

Dune44 has much to be proud of
Good Computer? Need Help!
I can't decide whether go build my own computer or just buy one, I'm lazy enough as it is, work to much. Regardless, do you guys/gals think this is a good computer for a good price, I would obviously get the upgrades, but besides that fact.
http://www.jcc.ca/Gamer.aspx

P.S. If it would be able to play all the latest games like age of empires, I play the 1st person shooters on xbox. I've been on a 256 Mb of Ram all my life....
Last edited by Dune44 : 10-13-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Multrox has much to be proud of
The link to that computer is pretty good and building your own is in about the same range. Ram is nice and it looks great.

Honestly though running at a 256 ram is just crap, no offense.

But ya if you have the money definately get that computer.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune44 View Post
I can't decide whether go build my own computer or just buy one, I'm lazy enough as it is, work to much.
I'd highly recommend you build it yourself if you have the knowledge. Go to my site. Peep my full system recommendations, clicky click done.

Quote:
Regardless, do you guys/gals think this is a good computer for a good price, I would obviously get the upgrades, but besides that fact.
http://www.jcc.ca/Gamer.aspx
Looking at the ~$1600 shown, I'm seeing about $1000 in parts. Either that's 60% markup, which is way too high, average is closer to 30%, or I'm not adding their parts list up correctly.

Doublechecking, yeah, I don't see what it could possibly be missing. I'm only getting about $1000 in parts. I wouldn't trust them if it's that hard to compare. Take a look at my system recommendations. They second system is far cheaper (as mentioned, about $1000 for the compared parts they list) and it's got a few parts that are better, not counting parts they don't list on the site at all.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Dune44 has much to be proud of
I have some knowledge of building a computer, but I just have no time. I have the money to pay the $1600, plus I know the guy who owns the store, it comes with 2 year full warranty, that's something you can't build, and the store is only 10 minutes away, so. I think it would be my best bet, because i don't have time to build one?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community tibbon is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to tibbon
You should be able to get a pretty decent desktop for $1600. I've built a few pretty decent boxes for $300-400 even that could do a bit of gaming. I'd check out TomsHardware.com and really pay attention to what you're buying and getting.

And yes, 256MB RAM isn't big enough to do most anything these days. I think I had 256mb back in 1993 (yes it was insane for that time). Even on all of my laptops I put 4GB in them.

Need help? Post any bugs or issues in the Issues/Bugs Forum
imVOX Bug Tracker
imVOX Suggestions
Read the imVOX Blog
Old 10-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast

rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community rabb1t is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune44 View Post
I have some knowledge of building a computer, but I just have no time.
Well... not having time is one of the advantages of going through a system builder.

Quote:
it comes with 2 year full warranty, that's something you can't build
Moot point. Many parts in my recommended systems have lifetime coverage, and ones that don't are all basically 3 years. The coverage policies that system builders offer these days are no longer necessary if you choose the right manufacturer.

Now, being able to send your box in, have them figure out what's wrong and replace it, the tech support aspect, sure that's something that someone who doesn't have time would use.

Quote:
I think it would be my best bet, because i don't have time to build one?
I guess. Me, I just wouldn't give anyone $1600 when I can spend a few hours doing it myself and save $600.

That's nearly enough to buy a 40" 1080p LCD HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbon
You should be able to get a pretty decent desktop for $1600.
Decent for a system builder. Amazing if you are doing it yourself.

My "Echo" system is ~$1365 post rebates and gets you an E8400, 4 gig, 9800 GTX+, 750i chipset MB, 22" 1680x1050 screen and lot of other shineys. Something like that would easily be around $1900+ from a system builder.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:23 AM

VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community VENOM-OF-SINS is a jewel in the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
I guess. Me, I just wouldn't give anyone $1600 when I can spend a few hours doing it myself and save $600.

That's nearly enough to buy a 40" 1080p LCD HDTV.
I'm not seeing the $600 price tag on that TV. I was really hoping Santa was answering my wishes.

With my experience in computers, I've found that building a computer can gain you flexibility with what hardware you'll be looking at, but it's generaly more expensive when compared to a pre-built system from one of the larger computer manufactures. Because they deal in bulk quantities they usually end up passing off the savings to the customer. I bought a pretty decent HP Desktop package from BestBuy about a year ago. With a few minor upgrades, I don't regret it one bit. For $1600, I'm running the following:

2.66Ghz Core2 QuadCore
3G RAM
750 W power supply
1G Nvidia 280 GTX video card
750G HDD
22 inch flat screen
Logitech Z-5500 Surround Sound

The power supply, video card and surround sound setup were all upgrades I purchased from TigerDirect.com. If you want to score big with TigerDirect, you need to watch the site constantly. You can usually snag a good deal this way. Just to give you an idea, when I bought by surround sound setup, it was for $200. At the time, it was going for $400 at BestBuy.

One last thing, if you're going to buy a pre-built system, make sure it's going to come with all the upgrade slots you need. Pre-built systems like to slack off in the area of PCI-E, which you'll like to have for your video card. They're usually not very SLI friendly either. They like to be compact too, so the case might get crowded or be a little small. I know I had a bit of trouble trying to fit that 280 GTX in it's rightful place.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 PM

Theo has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Theo
If you are capable you really should build your own, you can get a lot more performance for your buck. Plus it is really easy to do.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM-OF-SINS View Post
I'm not seeing the $600 price tag on that TV. I was really hoping Santa was answering my wishes.
'Black Friday' thing. It likely ended around 'Cyber Monday'. (That or they only offered it for a certain number of units.)

Quote:
With my experience in computers, I've found that building a computer can gain you flexibility with what hardware you'll be looking at, but it's generaly more expensive when compared to a pre-built system from one of the larger computer manufactures.
Um... no clue where you get that from. Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but the average markup for a system bought through a system builder is around 40%.

This means that you pick system X at said builder, and system X costs $1400, that you can build that exact same system (or that system with better parts) for $1000.

It is only on very very very rare occasion with sale items that I've seen that markup drop below 30%, and never ever have I seen it below 20% higher than what it would cost to build yourself.

The only benefits to a system builder are...
- They build it for you: This is important for those who don't know how or simply don't have/want to spend the time building.
- They can trouble shoot it and/or fix it for you: Again, important for those who don't know how or don't have time to troubleshoot.

Pick any system at a system builder out there you like, toss a link here, and I'll build that same system and show you the weakpoints and how much you are paying for the privelage of building. If you have the option and knowlege, you will always get a better deal buy building the system yourself.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
necro post award

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork