11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 01-02-2007, 04:37 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Gamemaster Tales: Share your stories
I know for a fact that here at the GuildCafe we are blessed to have a mighty contingent of former and present gamemasters, DMs, GMs, CSRs and other people who have created and run special events for players in games. So I thought I'd jumpstart this forum a bit with my very old tales of yore.

What is the best online event you ever ran?

Here's mine:

Long ago in Legends of Future Past, Tarinth was supposed to run an event, but forgot until just before it started. So quickly we whipped together a traveling circus and had it come to Fayd.

I don't remember all the details now, but I think we had some kind of Oracle there whom would answer any three questions. Just like the movies, people kept wasting their question on stupid inquiries such as "do I really get to ask three questions?" The crowd was getting angry, cause we kept tripping them up and they were running out of questions. Rather than let it continue into a full fledged riot of rage-quitters we opted for a new twist.

Tarinth changed costumes into Magnifico, entered the scene and murdered the Oracle in front of all, then ran away leaving only a slip of paper--under the elephants foot I believe--with a rhyming riddle as a clue.

The players were furious* having permantently lost a way to have their questions answered. There ensued a mad event with Tarinth and I only one step in front of the players. Tarinth hurredly coding in notes and clues to find and me writing the clues in the form of limericks as fast as I could. The players were hot on our heels, I swear I was writing a limerick a minute (apparently yet another useless talent I possess) while Tarinth alternated coded and shouted taunts, "you'll never catch me!" at the players. This went on for quite some time until we finally let the mob catch Magifico and deliver him to justice...

Of course Magnifico escaped! It would have been silly to waste a good villain the players loved so to hate. Magnifico reappeared several times after that in subsequent quests, but for me, the mad limericker, this event was the best...

...of course there was Syrix flying fortress...ahh another tale for another day.

*The players were not really furious. They too were roleplaying. Ahhh those were the days. In some ways toons ruined us all.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Exhalted Overlord

Nautar has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Nautar
That sounds like it was a lot of fun, wish I could have been there to see it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Kabol is community member of note
Send a message via MSN to Kabol Send a message via Skype™ to Kabol
I never held and event, but I'll never forget the first SWG RP event I ever participated in.

They needed a bounty hunter for a main role, and I happened to be training as one at the time, so I joined in. It involved the usual Star Wars bounty hunter scene, walking into a cantina and picking out my mark, but it was the battle that ensued that I'll always remember.

It started in the cantina, I started shooting at the person, and they just ran around the corner and out the door, as I pursued her (I loved how they would still show you with your weapon up and aimed at your target, even if you were out of LoS while moving) and as soon as I exited the Cantina, she was waiting at the door, and clotheslined me (TKA knockdown). I quickly tumbled to kneel, and then again to gain some distance while still shooting at her and attempting to stand. At this point she was getting a little low on health, and since we wanted the battle to be a bit longer (and I had a few unarmed skills) I went to unequip my gun and equip my vibro knuckler when she smacked me just the right way at the same time, making it look like she knocked my gun out of my hand.

It was beautiful after that, us using the different combo moves, we actually choreography it fairly well, making it look like a series of moves being blocked and countered. Finally, I used an unarmed eye attack (which at the time looked like you taking your fists and just pounding their left and right temples at the same time, dunno if that's the same now) and it incapped her, with the usual suddenly flying backwards and falling onto the ground.

Those were the days. <--warm fuzzies
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Mungad has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Mungad Send a message via MSN to Mungad
Running a IRC RPG is all imagination. I remember I ran a zombie quest where if the zombies KO'd you in battle you'd join their forces. One of our brash young players ran in charging and was knocked out a turn later. At that point I took control of the character and started attacking the most powerful player attending the quest. It was amusing to see everyone trying to heal and protect this guy who they didn't even like to prevent further casualties.

I was pretty much known for the hardest quests and definitely had more deaths and KO's in my quests than all our other GM's combined.