11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > Tabletop Games

Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 AM

romerboy55 is a cornerstone of the community romerboy55 is a cornerstone of the community
RPGTonight
so i was out looking for a program that i could use to game online with some of my friends and i found this http://www.rpgtonight.com/ i was wondering if anyone has ever used it. and if so is it any good? would you recommend it? or does anyone know of an alternative(the big requirement for it to be a viable alternative is it MUSH be completely free).

sorry for any misspelled words, i cant spell to saev mi lif
Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Wow I've never seen that one! The ones I had listed in the D&D 4.0 discussion thread were client/server programs but not a full featured site and host like this one is. Definitely checking this out. Let me know if you pull off any good game experiences with it.

I think in the advent of what Wizards has announced with their online tabletop software, we're about to see a new batch of these rolling in. Which is awesome.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 PM

romerboy55 is a cornerstone of the community romerboy55 is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_lazaro View Post
Wow I've never seen that one! The ones I had listed in the D&D 4.0 discussion thread were client/server programs but not a full featured site and host like this one is. Definitely checking this out. Let me know if you pull off any good game experiences with it.

I think in the advent of what Wizards has announced with their online tabletop software, we're about to see a new batch of these rolling in. Which is awesome.
i will I'm going to be holding a trial type game using this site sooner or later with some friends of mine, if it works out then that would rock. and as for the one wizard's working on don't you need to pay for it on a monthly bases? if so that sucks as you know they would have it set up and working awesomely.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
My only beef with this site is it's kinda of clunky; I admire the work they put into setting a web based tabletop using a website, but at the same time I'm wondering if any of the peer to peer and client/server programs I had listed in the others threads wouldn't still run a lot smoother? If you get any playtests in let me know.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 AM

well i agree that its not the best, from what i found tinkering around with it is that it has clutter issues(i think they went for functionality over looks) as well as a few bugs, but i think its got some real potential.

i went looking at your posts in the 4e thread and found the gametable link it looks good just a few questions about it though, first and most important do you need to forward ports so people can connect to your game? and second do you know of any places that i can DL more pogs and maps?

from the looks of it i think we might go with gametable but I'm still going to try rpgtonight(I'll probably ask my friends which they would like to try though)

Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Savant

Yeah I think you might have to forward ports with game table since you're essentially "hosting" a server for people to connect to. As for additional pogs, all I can say is hit up their forums and somewhere they had photoshop templates for the propper dimensions of the pogs. I always just tinkered with fantasy portraits and various screenshots from movies and games.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM

heruca has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by romerboy55 View Post
so i was out looking for a program that i could use to game online with some of my friends and i found this http://www.rpgtonight.com/ i was wondering if anyone has ever used it. and if so is it any good? would you recommend it? or does anyone know of an alternative(the big requirement for it to be a viable alternative is it MUSH be completely free).
Click here to see a complete list of all the virtual tabletop software that is available for playing RPGs online. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see that there are a number of free ones.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 PM

heruca has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_lazaro View Post
Actually, WotC is the one that's late to the game, in this case. Check out the link I posted above and you'll see that there are around 40 virtual tabletop programs already available, and WotC's Game Table isn't even out yet.

Hopefully, WotC's entry into the VT arena will make more people aware that virtual tabletops exist and are a good solution for geographically-dispersed gaming groups.