11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 AM

PrettyPinkElephant has much to be proud of
First Guild Blues
Well first of all I just wanna say hi to the forums! Lol I joined today and so far I'm really loving the site.

Alright, here is my dilemma. I am a player of the Mabinogi North America game (Open Beta begins March 5th ) and I decided that I want to start a guild. But I'm having troubles getting it off the ground and finding people who are interested and who will take this guild seriously. I am a business-oriented person with a business mind and need someone who is knows the down and dirty of gaming.

So here are my questions:

1) How can I get this guild "off and running," so to speak?

2) Are there any good pointers for first-time guild leaders? Lol I could really use some.

3) Where are good places to advertise guild recruitment?

Any other advice you have would be more than welcome.

Thanks so much and again, hello to the GuildCafe site.

~Pretty Pink Elephant
Old 02-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Sneek is a cornerstone of the community Sneek is a cornerstone of the community Sneek is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPinkElephant View Post

2) Are there any good pointers for first-time guild leaders? Lol I could really use some.

Basically the answer to question 2 will also answer question 1. The thing you should always do is: hang in there, keep the faith! It will take time. But the longer you life the more renowned your guild will be. Someone who quits a guild after a few weeks because it's not growing fast enough will surely never get a good guild running. Since it's your first guild, take your time and learn from mistakes. Anyway there are several articles on guildcafe giving all sorts of pointers, but remember to be patient above all.

The answer to 3 is a bit tough. There are probably game forums, which might or might not be used for guildrecruiting. That would of course be a good way. There will probably also be webpages dedicated to the game with forums, where you can try and find enthousiasts. And last but not least, sites like guildcafe are designed to find guildies. By the sound of it, you have to advertize two things though. The game and the guild. But perhaps it's just me who never heard of the game

Oh and welcome to guildcafe
Old 02-16-2008, 03:56 PM

PrettyPinkElephant has much to be proud of
Thanks so much for the help

I think i have a 'wee' bit of hope now ^^
Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 AM

morrock has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPinkElephant View Post

~Pretty Pink Elephant
1) Well getting several members first is what you want to do. Maybe irl friends or people you know from other games to ensure you start off with an already friendly group. A guild website (you can disregard this, I see you have a site.) always helps recruits know you're taking this seriously, even if it's a free site. You could use the GuildCafe siteBuilder for example.

2) First of all, don't be afraid to say no, or make something a requirement. My first guild broke up because we finally got a ventrilo server and we weren't strict enough about people using it in guild battles. Secondly, make sure people are serious when it come to raid-time, pvp battles, whatever your guild will do. Joking around is always fun, but when you're starting to pull only important advice or tactics should be discussed.

3) Ingame (once it actually gets into beta or relase that is) is good for finding people quickly, but forums are always best for serious players I find. On the game's website forums put up an ad with a link to your site. GuildCafe forums and the game's fansite forums are good too.

If I can think of anything later I'll add it in. And good luck leading.

edit: Oh, duh! That's what I wanted to add. You might want to check out some of Hades-LotD's articles on how to make a good guild and why they break up. He's been leading Lords of the Dead for like 12 years now, so he knows this stuff.
Who would win in a fight: Duke Nukem Forever or Darkfall?
Last edited by morrock : 02-23-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
To summarize I would emphasize above all else have a plan and have an identity or way that sets your guild apart from others. Try and imagine the mindset of an unguilded player in your game of choice and anticipate those needs and wants and how your guild will meet those needs. Lord Hades has laid this out in more detail in some of his other posts and lots of others have contributing to the discussion before but without a doubt having a plan is probably of the highest importance going in without one will not only not get you the members you want but probably bring some resentment from others if you give in to the open chat spamming tactics so many employee as a quick fix to fill rosters quickly which is then followed by a guild collapse in roughly 2 to 3 weeks.

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Lazric has much to be proud of
When i was starting my guild i noticed that if i wasn't online for even a few days new guild members would start to leave because they would be the only person online, start by just recruiting anyone regardless of level or rank or what ever so you have a social structure for your guild to stand on, once you have a few regular players in your guild they will start recruiting and so on.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 PM

Coverfire has much to be proud of
Well I'm in the same boat but I'm patient. And I have something that sets us a part from other PVP guilds. Were not a bunch of gankin greifing pricks HAHA.

Although I think our message is a bit weak. I need to work on Eloquency. Oh yeh and members LOL! http://www.guildcafe.com/GuildHome.php?guildid=17712