11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Groups/Guilds/Clans > Leader Support

Old 03-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Wynny has much to be proud of
my guild in Wow... has no age restrictions and honestly we have a very good guild of 400+ members all ranging from at least 10-99 well not really 99 lol but you get my point.

We haven't really had many issues except for the usual begging for gold or promo's or things out of the vault or the dreaded begging for runs.

As a GM you need to know the people you decide will make great officers and don't just give an officer title away to someone just because they have been in the guild for so long... With that being said... even tho allot of people don't like listening to the officers they are always there to help the GM out with any issues happening in the Guild that the GM cannot deal with because they actually have a life themselves.

I am a High Council Member in my guild and what we do to keep the maturity at the highest possible is this.

1.) Only Officers can add members to the guild

2.) If a member asks to add someone to the guild we ask them if they know them personally or if they have been in an instance or two with the person in question. (this here helps weed out the players who only come to run instances and don't want to level the correct way and also helps to see if they will be greedy and try and need on crap that they don't even need.)

3.) Once a member has been added to the guild the Officers and the GM watch them closely to see if they have what it takes to be in the guild. They are warned right off the bat not to beg for gold, instance runs, things out of the bank or promo's. (if they don't like those rules then they are generally the first to run LOL)

4.) Lang content is a big issue in the guild... Time and time again you will see a fellow officer tell others not to say something in guild chat for the reason being that we do have 10yr olds in the guild. (another way to weed out the immature one's simply for the fact that they will throw a fit cause they cant curse)

5.) The moment a guild member is caught needing for items in raids or instances where they don't even need the item and someone else who is in the raid or instance needs it they get booted from the instance or raid... When they whinne and complain in GC about it. The officer's generally know how to piss them off enough to make themselves leave the guild rather then us having to boot them.

I can name more things that we do as a guild that helps to eliminate the stupidity and immaturity that come from people of all ages without even having to boot them out ourselves LOL but that would take all day to read lol... but simply put there are ways of filtering out the good from the bad just by the officers you choose to help run your guild.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Enthusiast

Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Alycat is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Send a message via AIM to Alycat
To me it's more of an ethical concern than a judgment on the maturity of others. As a general rule, I don't think adults and children should "play" with each other. However, if it's strictly a friends and family guild and you (hopefully) don't have to worry about children's online safety, that's another story.

I'm sure some people will come back with things like "but my guildies can be trusted" but I think there's a danger in giving relative strangers the benefit of the doubt online, no matter how long or how well you think you know them.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Savant

Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED Hagan CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Hagan
Officially, my guild mates have never realy had a 'minimum age' requirement when we've been in guilds as officers. However, after several games playing with the younger generation, its safe to say the minimal age we'll let in is 16, but they have to pass the rest of the guild requirements.

Immature players do tend to not listen when advice is given, and when instructions are given. Dark Age of Camelot had a few like that. Despite being told not to do stupid things, they just ignored everyone and went ahead, then complained no-one stop when no-one would help them.

"If your going to commit suicide, thats fine, just don't take everyone else down with you." was a marco'd replay on a mates accont, he used it that often.

Saying that, some of them with proper tutoring make great players, although you do tend to watch what you say, as some of them do play without a profanity filter (so much for parental control).

As for people being old, meh, we had a Lt. in our guild who was a grandfather, he was great. Anyone who remembered enough of the seventies to know it wasn't all fun and games is alright in my books.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
"If your going to commit suicide, thats fine, just don't take everyone else down with you." was a marco'd replay on a mates accont, he used it that often.
lol, I hate when people do that. Nothing is worse than a zerg except a lone zerger.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
Well it has really depended on the game in Shadowbane we did not have an age requirement and it tended to be fairly stressfull for the guild leadership. In Vanguard and Everquest 2 we made it very clear in our recruiting that we had a strong preference for 40+ year old players and we were much happier with the outcome. Of course we have all seen cases with some very young people that conducted themselves well in an older crowd but I still tend to brace for problems whenever we take players younger than 25 years of age. Then again we have been very fortunate in that we have not had to boot anyone since the Shadowbane era. Our "culutre and customs" tend to come through pretty early and have a way of making devoted members or summer soldiers. We have no rule that says you can not curse it is just that people do not do it or when they do nobody adds that to the conversation so people seem to naturally fall into the practice, same goes for leet speak and trash talk it just is not very welcomed so it goes away on it's own quickly. Of course if we were to transition to a new game and we going to be a more active raid or PVP oriented I will definately move towards lowering the age group we were looking for.
I think point that may be underlying all this would be that managing a younger crowd in game or the work place takes a lot more energy and directed effort but can bring unique rewards to the team if the management group can commit to the increased nead for direct supervision, goal setting, and policy enforcement.

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Famous Member

Lamorgana is community member of note
My guild allows 16 and up to join w/ some acceptions. I find that many young kids have the same maturity level as some of us old farts.

http://www.kimdean.com
Kisss My [AXE]
Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Reshaew has much to be proud of
our guild is mostly adults we have weeded the whinny kids out but we actually have a few number of pre-teens and teenagers that are cool and acouple of them are awesome players they know their characters class and know how to raid with em. we do have a rule implmented though if one of them is online the guild chat typed or in vent is pg-13.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshaew View Post
our guild is mostly adults we have weeded the whinny kids out but we actually have a few number of pre-teens and teenagers that are cool and acouple of them are awesome players they know their characters class and know how to raid with em. we do have a rule implmented though if one of them is online the guild chat typed or in vent is pg-13.
Score so far:

Boldface words -- 68
Periods in sentence -- 2
English language -- 0

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
More Famous Than Human

TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence TheHedgeWizard is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodou View Post
Score so far:

Boldface words -- 68
Periods in sentence -- 2
English language -- 0
*sacked* Jodou strikes again!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 AM

Drecq has much to be proud of
Currently my guild has no "defined" age limit but we are still in the process of reworking our system of recruitment to improve our guild but its hard to put an age limit when ive seen 16 and 17 year olds that are very immature and ive seen 14 year olds that act like a 21 year old and are very mature. It gets hard defining an age group to select for a guild.

If i had to chose one though i would have to choose a minimum of at least 16 though as we have had some trouble with younger members. Again though its hard to judge age though.