11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > MUDs and Interactive Fiction

Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 AM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Any Renegade BBS ppl out there?
Years ago I used to write renegade bbs doors. Today, I got an email from an old friend with a couple zip files attached. They were the actual doors i wrote. I tried to find a way to check them out (since i did them almost 15 years ago in pascal and they're just compiled binaries).

Anyone on GC know if there's any way to run these w/o Renegade or know anyone who has a renegade bbs still running that would be interested in installing these?

The funniest part is I remember writing and supporting these games, but I don't remember making RIP front ends, which each one of them has.

One was called Kickboxer, it was a dueling game where you used MUD style combat commands against an opponent and used combos and stuff. The other was a RIPchat. I also wrote a fully functional arena-style single player RPG called Gladiator, but cannot find it on the internet anywhere. (the other two showed up on old shareware cd's).

gaming news
Old 03-26-2008, 05:15 AM
Savant

revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED revlazaro CLASSIFIED
Renegade BBS, how I miss thee sometimes.
I never played the doors you mentioned, but I knew a guy who wrote one similar to games like LORD/Usurper based around vampire slaying. Forgot the title (I've been trying to see if I can track the dude down over google).

My BBS project though was a 286 that was only available between 10PM and 6am while my parents were asleep growing up. They always wondered why they were getting modem phone calls during the day.

Leader of Hamnation [PIG]
Member of the EYE Alliance
Check out my gaming blog: The Chaos Grenade
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community MikesterBrau is a cornerstone of the community
You might want to check out the bbs documentary site at http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/ which has links to lots of text files detailing the current state of most bbs software developers. You might even become engrossed enough to watch some clips or go all the way and purchase the documentary. I think the rip graphics you speak of were first introduced in Skyline BBS for the Amiga and then later ported to Wildcat BBS for the PC. Anyhow interesting read and nice to find some other old bbs'ers lurking around here.

http://www.bardstavern.net
Old 03-30-2008, 01:06 AM

Tyrlien has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_lazaro View Post
My BBS project though was a 286 that was only available between 10PM and 6am while my parents were asleep growing up. They always wondered why they were getting modem phone calls during the day.
Omg yes a 286 and lucky enough to have a 2400 baud modem!, I played around with a quickbbs in 89-90 but only out of curiosity. I wasn't techie enough to pursue it any further.

Btw, I have the BBS Documentary that Mikester mentions and it is awesome, well done, and worth the coin.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 AM

Katrar has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesterBrau View Post
You might want to check out the bbs documentary site at http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/
I picked up BBS The Documentary a couple months ago and I HIGHLY recommend anyone that ever tinkered with BBS's either running or dialing in to buy it, or get a friend to buy it and watch theirs. The waves of nostalgia were almost overpowering.

And I remember dialing in on 300 baud back in the mid 80s. I miss BBS's but I don't miss that text crawl.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM

exodus has much to be proud of
Renegade BBS
http://www.renegadebbs.net - Home of Renegade BBS Software!
Current release of Renegade BBS is 09-30.6 (Sept. 30th, 2006).
Latest Alpha to the testers was released 4 months ago.

Telnet over to telnet://ttb.slyip.com

grab a copy of mTelnet from http://ozone.eesc.com before you do, so you can download files as well.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM

spazure has much to be proud of
I can't help you out, but I found it amusing that someone else remembers Renegade.

My first board was Renegade, until I had to switch it over to MajorBBS for all the extra features.

My favorite door was "Runaway", which is interesting because these days everybody will say LORD .. or maybe Trade Wars or MajorMUD if they were on a MajorBBS..