11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > FPS Connections

Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Legendary Gamer

Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community Hades-LotD is a paragon of the community
Interesting indeed.
Motto: Killing With Style
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Easy Breezy~

Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED Dem CLASSIFIED
Send a message via MSN to Dem Send a message via Skype™ to Dem
1. It doesn't have multiplayer.

2. It's developed by the LucasArts

3. Abandon all hope.

Good night.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 AM

Uchiha has much to be proud of
I wonder if the WII version will have those physics too.
Of course it`s not possible to add all the details, but maybe a more simple yet good one?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Some of it was pretty cool and I'm sure the game will be fun but it's hardly the sort of technology leap we got with Quakre or HL2. Havok has been around for ages and previous Jedi Knight/Academy games have let you push stormtroopers around like leaves in the wind. Having AI enemies grab on to objects is a nice touch but again HL2 already has it except that the AI tries to push the objects back at you .

DMM looks nice but it's not quite as simple to meld with Havok as they make it out to be. Look for example at the crates or indeed any object that isn't nailed down, they never deform despite the main character bending steel doors easily. The best example in tech demo preview vid is when the character destroys a walkway, because the walkway is tied to Havok it hits things as it falls and reacts fairly realistically but because the developer has not specifically made a DMM profile for the walkway the component pieces remain completely rigid. Another example is him smashing glass computer displays (which has never been in an FPS before ever...) and the thin supports around the glass don't even wobble.

HL2:EP2 and CoD4 both have tech to simulate the same things DMM does but they don't bother to link it to Havok for pretty much the same reason crates don't deform in Force Unleashed. However DMM is in theory real-time so if you tried to use Force Push from a different angle the object would bend differently whereas complex deformations in EP2/CoD4 are always the same because they've been calculated in advance (no risk of FPS loss that way). You never notice this in EP2/CoD4 because you don't have supernatural powers and hence rely on things like tanks and earth tremors to cause complex deformations. Most simple deformations like glass and wood are handled the same in HL2 and DMM in that they simply break the object into smaller parts.

Btw did anyone else notice when he destroyed a tree the stump wobbled like jelly?

Don't get me wrong it looks great, I'm sure it will be fun and the technology is more advanced than the average shooter. I just think the LucasArts Hype Machine is fooling a lot of people as usual. To be fair the Valve Hype Machine fooled a lot of people into thinking Havok was new Valve technology when it'd already been licensed to other games.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Troll

samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness samhain is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
when you can make all three work in a game and raise the bar where future games need to do the same to avoid "being dated", it will be a revolutionary move in the industry.

If the game is 1/2 as fun as Lego Star Wars it will be a huge hit... even if it only has 6-7 hours of game play.

I'm not saying the game itself will be great.. but they are most definitely raising the bar and that's when things get good.

gaming news
Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain View Post
If the game is 1/2 as fun as Lego Star Wars it will be a huge hit... even if it only has 6-7 hours of game play.
You mean, as good as Lego Star Wars was before Lucas noticed it. (ie, Episodes 1-3) Without a sense of humor and with annoying racing/flying levels that just won't stop (what is it with Lucas and mediocre racing games?), it really faded fast.

Speaking of which, where does the all-important feature Pod Racing fit into this game?

(I admit, now I'm just whining. Time for more coffee perhaps?)

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
The character of Darth Vader is fleshed out further, and, in a plot twist almost as good as the “I am your father” moment from Star Wars: Episode V—The Empire Strikes Back, the game also contains surprising information about the birth of the Rebel Alliance.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...03/lucas200803

Extremely biased article but it may be of interest to some fans. I hope the story is good though I'll be kinda sad to play a star wars fps without Kyle Katarn .

Edit: http://kotaku.com/353603/the-force-u...ou-had-to-have

Last edited by Vorbis : 02-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
GDC2008 gameplay trailer!

It looks like fun, like the gravity gun in Half Life 2, except tons of bonus.