11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 12-16-2006, 02:34 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Geek Alert! Foot Input Devices
So many times I have almost built something like this or tried putting a trackball on the floor! I have mad clutch skillz, so I have always want to use my feet and free up my hands from navigation, weapon swapping and firing. Now my right hand mouse will be 100% aiming and target selection with my left hand on Nostromo getting out commands.

I ordered one--Mrs. Claus's little gift to herself! I'll post here a review later.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I really really hope this isn't a new thing. Maybe new to be packaged for gaming, but not "new" in the type of device this is.

I say this because while I was doing my undergrad in the 1989/1991, I worked in one of the very first "computer classrooms" that WASN'T used to teach computers. WOW! You mean, computers could help teach sociology, English, etc?

Anyway, I taught the students (and usually the subject matter Prof) how to use the computers while the main instructor taught the content matter. At that time most people had no clue about computers and were scared of them.

One of my students had MS and little use of her hands, and was much better with her feet...so we just moved the keyboard and the mouse to the floor for her. She typed with her big toe.

So anyway...yeah...I hope they have at least come up with better assistive technologies in all this time in regards to computer use with your feet, and it's just that now the ideas are moving over to the able-bodied market for gaming, etc.

Nice find, though, Roxi.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Devil's Advocate

Ravage is community member of note
Send a message via AIM to Ravage
Hmmmmm, I'm thinking extra hotkeys for WoW pvp...

I don't know that I would use them for shooters, though. It would take some getting used to, I bet.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Founding Member

Stickerr has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Stickerr Send a message via MSN to Stickerr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaya View Post
I really really hope this isn't a new thing. Maybe new to be packaged for gaming, but not "new" in the type of device this is.

I say this because while I was doing my undergrad in the 1989/1991, I worked in one of the very first "computer classrooms" that WASN'T used to teach computers. WOW! You mean, computers could help teach sociology, English, etc?

Anyway, I taught the students (and usually the subject matter Prof) how to use the computers while the main instructor taught the content matter. At that time most people had no clue about computers and were scared of them.

One of my students had MS and little use of her hands, and was much better with her feet...so we just moved the keyboard and the mouse to the floor for her. She typed with her big toe.

So anyway...yeah...I hope they have at least come up with better assistive technologies in all this time in regards to computer use with your feet, and it's just that now the ideas are moving over to the able-bodied market for gaming, etc.

Nice find, though, Roxi.

They already have!!! I've seen where now people who are fully paralyzed can move there Wheel Chair by just thinking about it. Somehow the wheel chair and the brain are wired together. It was on TV a couple weeks ago. Pretty crazy stuff!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM

peter is community member of note
Are you sure they had no motor functionality at all, because the last device I saw was controlled with the eyelids or something.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Founding Member

Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Armaya is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Hey if you need more WoW hotkeys there's aways the Logitech G15 gaming keyboard. It even lights up, and has a screen right on the keyboard tha tyou can set to even let you know who is talking in Vent.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM

peter is community member of note
that's cool, have you ever used either a 900mhz or a bluetooth wireless earpiece? i'm thinking of getting one but i'm not sure what the battery life is going to be like.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
I think there's probably a lot of brands available for the bluetooth earpieces. But I know a guy who uses one with a cellphone and he complains about battery life a lot, so your mileage may vary.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
gamerDNA Regina Omnipotens

Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness Roxianna is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via AIM to Roxianna Send a message via MSN to Roxianna Send a message via Yahoo to Roxianna
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
that's cool, have you ever used either a 900mhz or a bluetooth wireless earpiece? i'm thinking of getting one but i'm not sure what the battery life is going to be like.
I kinda jumped into the wireless thing early, but poor performance has caused me to give up. Wireless headphones, wireless mouse, wireless network are all gone. I am all wired up again now. Someday I'll give wireless another chance, but I really don't have time to waste on technology that's not 100%.