11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Enthusiast

RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence RedQ is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via AIM to RedQ
I've read that Vista tags the motherboard as the PC identity. XP uses the same method and the same rules, yet is flexible. This is my 2nd build (new mobo, cpu, ram, gfx card). I had to get a guy on the phone after both phone (automated) and online activation failed. The guy asked upgrade history and that was that.

It would be nice if there was a better way of handling the 1 machine rule, but unfortunately MS prefers their methods "until proven otherwise, you're a criminal."
Old 08-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
my old system what can I salvage/sell..

I have a xion case but since my house doesn't have A/C it can't keep the CPU and PS cool sometimes in summer, if its not summer than I am fine and its a great case...
I have a 430 Antec PS currently but I am not sure it can handle a 8800gtx and the CPU,
I have one slave drive currently with 75 Gigs pretty full, and my main drive 150 Gigs running a boot leg copy of XP Pro. I plan to move my slave drive info to the main drive currently and buying a new drive.
I have a 478 ASUS MoBo.....not much there to brag about
I have P4 3.0ghz CPU...once again nothing special
I have 2 gigs (4x 512mb) RAM OCZ gold heat spreaders, low latancy....DDR 400
I have a x850 XT PE video card (AGP)....I know AGP is dead

I plan to use my optic drive and audio card for my new system

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 08-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

Yeti is a jewel in the community Yeti is a jewel in the community
Shadow one thing you will notice for sure is the heat reduction between a core 2 duo and a P4 its substantial. tho a 8800GTX might be hotter then your current card so who knows? since mine on a full gaming load runs about 77-80C
Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Muffbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
In your set up I'd throw in an extra Raptor and go Raid 0 as long as you dedicate it to a pure gaming PC. Otherwise I'd go Raid 1.
If you're not gonna run 8800's in SLI, I'd save up to get a Foxconn version of the 8800GTX. The 768MB will run just over $350.
(Unless you REALLY wanna run 2xBFG you know you have an extra $1000
in your unmentionables drawer )
Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Amos

Recently, I've seen some laptops with an Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme processor, which is equipped with 2.93 GHZ (X6800 model) and 1033 MHZ. If anybody is on the prowl for a good gaming laptop, like I am, I would recommend that processor.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
I was checking tom's hardware and the 8800gts 320 performed better than the 640 a few times, you can almost run two 320mbs in sli for the price of a 640mb... anyone think thats odd?

Another questions what do you guys think about bootleg Operating systems?

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork