11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Dual Video Card 6800 and 8800 problems!
Well I had some extra monitors lying around and my old video card. So I thought why NOT have three monitors, two on the 6800, and my main monitor connected to the 8800. Everything works perfect until I try and run Quake Wars, which won't start unless I disable the 6800. Anyone have any ideas or is my setup destined for perpetual failure while trying to game?

I assume the problem is it doesn't know which GFX card to have render the game and such, but what do I know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
I don't know about the GTS, but my GTX has the plug-ins for monitors on the back. I suggest going down to the local RadioShack and buying some adapters for your extra monitors. The other thing you should do is ask yourself if you really need 3 monitors.

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Ya like I said I know I don't really need them, but it nice having on screen dedicated for displaying my MP3 library, one main screen, and one for the fun of it. I have a 8800 GTX which has to DVI plugs on the back, I haven't really seen much on the adapter you speak of the main reason I used two video cards was so that when I game it wouldn't suck away any of the GPU power when it was just displaying Vista.

Also it is nice when I have school work to do, notes in one window, the document I am working on, and typical an outside internet source. So in short,
Need-No
Nice to have and helpful- yes
Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
If you can't find the any DVI->VGA adapters than the only thing I can think of would be check out the nVidia sight and look at the patch notes for the various ForceWare release and make sure you are using a version that lists compatibility with both of your cards. If you have verified compatability than I can't help you any further and would suggest you go to nVidia's forums and ask your question there.

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
If I understand correctly, you have 2 monitors plugged in to a nVidia 6800 dual hard card. This is a PCI card or PCI-16X? (I expect that its PCI-16X)

Also, you have 1 monitor plugged into a nVidia 8800. I assume this is PCI-16X?

I assume your motherboard has dual PCI-16X slots right?

Is that correct?

One quick fix thing that MAY work for you is to check the BIOS for an option to choose which video adapter is considered the "primary" adapters. In DirectX adapters are arbitrarily assigned numeric values starting with 0. Most games default to rendering to adapter=0 so the bios change could change which monitor is considered adapter=0 and solve your problem.