11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 PM

Odin has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin
website Question
Do any of you guys know of a website that will give u forums code so u can just copy and paste it onto your website, so it will be part of the site not on a different site for the forums?? thanks guys

Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Triumvirate has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Triumvirate Send a message via MSN to Triumvirate Send a message via Yahoo to Triumvirate Send a message via Skype™ to Triumvirate
Not sure I'm following what you mean. Are you talking about something like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, etc.? Or something else?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
No, those are remotely hosted forums, and he's looking to host the forums on his own website.

Would you consider simply building your website here? You can have your forums right here on the same site, and not have to go to http://www.vboards.com/yourguildnamehere every time you want to check the messages.

Originally I wanted to do what you're looking for as well, but I didn't know where to begin, and accidentally stumbled across this gem of a community I (and the Nocturnal Raiders) now call home.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:20 AM

Tiquor has much to be proud of
You could also try out a service like Guild Launch http://www.guildlaunch.com/, they have hosted our guild for the last year and they have a high quality forum system and provide a lot of guild functionality that is all integrated into one site.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 AM

Odin has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin
Thanks for the replies guys, and I already have a site made but I just was hoping there would be a code i could just paste on my already made site, Thx anyways guys.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Community Man!

Tagrun is a jewel in the community Tagrun is a jewel in the community
Try phpbb forums or...something like IP Boards.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
Quote:
Quote of the Month
We make war so that we may live in peace.
-Aristotle
Is that really appropriate for a Destruction guild?
Quote:
Quote:
Are you talking about something like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, etc.?
No, those are remotely hosted forums, and he's looking to host the forums on his own website.
vBulletin, phpBB, SMF are all php based forums designed to run on your own server. I believe GuildCafe currently uses vBulletin but it requires a minimum $85 while phpBB and SMF are free. I've only used vBulletin and phpBB in the past and I can say while vBulletin is nicer phpBB will get the job done well for most guilds.

Odin will have trouble using any of these on his current provider as they have disabled things like mySQL and .htaccess support by default (though it can be enabled for $10+$5) so he had best ask before he tries it. Lots of free hosting will try to prevent things like forums which use more server power than the average users website.

The easiest option is just to stick with what you have or use GuildCafe and if you really need something that GuildCafe doesn't have then try asking them about it as they're obviously open to user suggestions.

Good luck with the website .
Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Do any of you guys know of a website that will give u forums code so u can just copy and paste it onto your website, so it will be part of the site not on a different site for the forums?? thanks guys
I like http://www.simplemachines.org/
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 AM

HoL-Golyn has much to be proud of
Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed by the offerings here at Guildcafe, however, we decided as a guild we wanted our own domain and server so we went with Siteground, which is a great host.

-Golyn