11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM

BigKev has much to be proud of
The Killer Nic website has a writeup about it from PC Gamer.

http://www.killernic.com/killernic/P...mer_Review.pdf

The biggest advantage of this card is that it has its own OS on the card itself. It frees a lot of resources up for the rest of the PC. The other huge advantage is the ability to run software off of the card separate from your machines OS. Imagine having a firewall before anything even gets to your OS. Or a virus scanner perhaps. Plus, as the community for it grows there
will be a HUGE amount of custom made software to install and run on this card. This card has a lot of potential and the hardware review in PC Gamer does show a definate improvement in performance.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence Vorbis is bathed in a white light of excellence
I just thought I'd add that onboard networking that many motherboards have can reduce your FPS significantly when under heavy load. This normally isn't a problem but I did find when moving files across my home network at 100mbit there was more CPU use on older computers when using the motherboard ethernet port rather than a separate network card. However for online games that tend to use only 5-10kb/s there was little difference.

I have to echo what everyone else has said, save your money to buy a standard NIC and an extra 2gb ram.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Muffbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
It's advantages to gamers are minimal when you look at it from a hardware acceleration aspect. If you have a dated machine, then I'd spend the money on other peripherals that could improve your gaming experience more. It's a nice to have, but not really necessary.
The FNApp aspects are nice, although not very gamer related.
I'd question it's ability to reduce latency when you invoke the light can only go so fast argument.
The advantages doesn't equal the pricepoint yet and maybe once developers can utlize it's strengths then it may be a good investment.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
The biggest advantage of this card is that it has its own OS on the card itself. It frees a lot of resources up for the rest of the PC.
Well, and that's the problem. Host-based processing beats coprocessors almost always. My pc has unused resources, lots of them. Offloading processing to coprocessors is almost always a waste. For example, check out any pro audio "plugin accelerator" system from 1999.

And, I mean, I already have a firewall that blocks things before they get to my computer. It's not built into my computer, which means that it also protects my other computers and game consoles. You can get these things already, you know, as a cheap plastic appliance... there isn't a killer app to make the killer nic compelling.

I really just don't see it. But hey, if you have the money and need another 1-3 FPS and bragging rights, well, there's nothing wrong with that. I mean, it's a cool gadget, and I like cool gadgets. But, hey, you can add UV lights for under 6 dollars, and that's cool too.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Last edited by tekhedd : 08-03-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: for an example, check this example for example.