11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Wills View Post
Bah. If parents are concerned enough that he's trying to hide something from them, they can make him put the password in or give it to him and go through whatever they like, and if he refuses, they can take the whole computer away. Password protecting it keeps nosy siblings out, keeps younger children (siblings or visitors) away from inappropriate content, and keeps kids from getting away with saying things like, "Mom, you closed my homework, I spent hours doing that and you didn't save it!" (which admit it, we know, kids would lie about things like that if they thought they could get away with it.) In general it provides kids with a chance to be responsible, parents just have to put a little faith in them.
As a level 3 support engineer for a major Cable ISP, I have to disagree with you that people know how to bypass silly windows passwords or even bother to do so...that is, until their wallet is effected.

Mom, you closed my homework is quite a weak argument for allowing children to password protect their online lives.

I handle cases everyday where parents have no idea what their kids are doing online. They have their kids set up with pc's in their own rooms with no filtering whatsoever.

These are the same parents that often get very pissed off and try to blame everyone else except themselves that their brat installed a bunch of spyware from file-sharing and sites like MySpace.

Take it for what its worth from someone who sees it every day. And if you're a parent reading this and NOT taking the responsibility you should for what your child is exposed to...shame on you.

visit my blog: oh! san diego dot com
Old 06-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Rising Star

MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community MaeveAlleine is a paragon of the community
Send a message via ICQ to MaeveAlleine Send a message via AIM to MaeveAlleine Send a message via Yahoo to MaeveAlleine
Oh and sorry this is such a soap-box topic for me. It's just something I deal with a lot at work...

/gets down from soap box.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I Are Famous!

Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community Goddess Wills is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeveAlleine View Post
As a level 3 support engineer for a major Cable ISP, I have to disagree with you that people know how to bypass silly windows passwords or even bother to do so...that is, until their wallet is effected.

Mom, you closed my homework is quite a weak argument for allowing children to password protect their online lives.

I handle cases everyday where parents have no idea what their kids are doing online. They have their kids set up with pc's in their own rooms with no filtering whatsoever.

These are the same parents that often get very pissed off and try to blame everyone else except themselves that their brat installed a bunch of spyware from file-sharing and sites like MySpace.

Take it for what its worth from someone who sees it every day. And if you're a parent reading this and NOT taking the responsibility you should for what your child is exposed to...shame on you.
Perhaps I'm a tad misguided here...I expect parents to be responsible enough to take proper precautions (such as making kids use their computers in a public room, instead of their bedrooms), and monitor what their children are doing on a regular basis, as well as be capable of making the decision of when a child is ready for their own computer, and all the responsibilities that come with it.

But you're right, we've gotten rather off-topic, haven't we?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community PeZzy is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Perhaps I'm a tad misguided here...I expect parents to be responsible enough to take proper precautions
In Canada there is a new, free, well-known webcam site with an adult section. Kids have easy access to things they shouldn't be seeing and the moderators are regularly kicking out kids.

Once a child reaches the teens, it appears as though parents stop monitoring their kid's internet access.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Rising Star

Quote:
Perhaps I'm a tad misguided here...I expect parents to be responsible enough to take proper precautions (such as making kids use their computers in a public room, instead of their bedrooms), and monitor what their children are doing on a regular basis, as well as be capable of making the decision of when a child is ready for their own computer, and all the responsibilities that come with it.

Unfortunately that just isn't the reality. I see it every day.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community KILLERCOD is a cornerstone of the community
Both of my kids have computers in their rooms, I think it's vital for their development and education these days. They DO NOT have unrestricted access to the internet though...and I control the network and programming in my house like a third world dictator...so...I fell pretty safe all things considered...but even still, kids can get into whatever they WANT to get into, it's a matter of education and consequence for actions that matters...imho
Old 07-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
I am going to skip 1) and 2) as they seem like black holes of "not enough information".

As for 3, I think you'd feel the most impact from a new LCD screen. Even a 20" at 1600x1200 would only cost a few hundred bucks and will feel pretty sweet compared to a CRT. If possible a 23" at 1920x1200 is in the $500-1000 range.

None of your components are terrible, all can be upgraded which is true of any computer more then 6 months old, so don't feel bad.

After the LCD, I agree with the RAM recommendation, If you don't have the money to replace it, I would still consider going to 2 gigs with additional modules.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Quote:

Off top=Yes, but for the record, I agree with your view on the matter. I have 2 young daughters and I think about this alot. Its not fair to throw them into the internet without guidance. This is our jobs as parents. Yeah, alot of their stuff is boring as hell, but thats not their fault.