11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Gearbox has much to be proud of
Upgrade question.
I've been out of the gaming loop for two years. My PC was never upgraded as Im a mac guy. Right now I have a Abit IC7-Max 3 using a P4 2.6c (no longer overclocked) 1G or Corsiar ram at stock timings and a ATI 9800 128mb card. THe question is would upgrading to a P4 3.0E (have to stick to a socket 478) and a video card upgrade (to what?) be worth anything for playing MMO's. I plan on upgrading completely in 6 mo and am thinking of this as a stopgap. Opinions??
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast

Drevnar is a jewel in the community Drevnar is a jewel in the community
Well, thiose specs are certainly fine for playing a game like WoW. However, with the new graphicly intense MMO's coming out, you will have to upgrade your whole PC. It wouldn't be worth it to spend a few hundered just for obselete tech if you are going to upgrade anyway.

If you wanted to upgrade your computer, leave a price range and it will be easy for some tech geeks such as myself to give you some suggestions for high performance:cost machine.

Rethaul, Dark Templar and squad leader in Rising Arms
Northern Lights, my computers specifications and an up to date worklog of the build!
My gaming life
Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Founding Member

DaMann is a cornerstone of the community DaMann is a cornerstone of the community
Send a message via AIM to DaMann
Good question, i haven't upgraded my rig in ages either I also haven't been playing any PC games, many because I can't find one to tickle my fancy these days. I hear something about how awesome the new intel dual core's are compared to AMD.

=nooblet
Old 06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Innovative

tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness tekhedd is enveloped in a rainbow of effervescent greatness
Send a message via ICQ to tekhedd Send a message via AIM to tekhedd Send a message via Yahoo to tekhedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMann View Post
Good question, i haven't upgraded my rig in ages either I also haven't been playing any PC games, many because I can't find one to tickle my fancy these days. I hear something about how awesome the new intel dual core's are compared to AMD.

=nooblet
Much as it pains me to say it, Intel's Core2 chips are on top at the moment, and look to stay there for the rest of the year.

-- We're not the crazy ones! --
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 AM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
I've been out of the gaming loop for two years. My PC was never upgraded as Im a mac guy. Right now I have a Abit IC7-Max 3 using a P4 2.6c (no longer overclocked) 1G or Corsiar ram at stock timings and a ATI 9800 128mb card. THe question is would upgrading to a P4 3.0E (have to stick to a socket 478) and a video card upgrade (to what?) be worth anything for playing MMO's. I plan on upgrading completely in 6 mo and am thinking of this as a stopgap. Opinions??
You should combine your loves and get a mac pro or macbook pro. Toss windows on there, and you'll be able to stay on the same machine for whatever you want to do. I'm getting a new macbook pro, which has the intel core 2 duo chip, room for 4gb RAM (2 comes standard) and a DX10 nvidia 8600m. The mac pro desktops are slow to get decent graphics cards, though, but for nearly all games they are adequate.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Gearbox has much to be proud of
Thats a really good idea Blanco. Im actually looking to buy a Mac book pro as well. It never really occured to me to use it for gaming. I though about the mac desktops but never a laptop. I could alway hook up a 22 in monitor I guess. Hmmm.....