Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > General > Ask a Hardware Guru

View Poll Results: Which OS?
Windows Vista 7 77.78%
Windows XP Media Center 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Building A PC To Run Crysis
This summer I'm planning to build a monster rig and have already squared away hardware that will ensure Crysis runs top notch on high settings. That leaves the OS to be decided.

Because Crysis will be one of the first to take advantage of Direct3D 10 framework in Windows Vista I'm thinking about taking the plunge. At the same time, I'm hesitant because of all the issues with Vista running older games and apps. I've also heard rumors of projects to run DX10 on XP, but we all know whenever you bridge a gap like that, sacrifices have to be made.

So my question to you guys is do I take the plunge with Vista or stick to tried and true Windows Media Center? If you vote, please explain why.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast

Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community Kamujin is a cornerstone of the community
Ok, I think DX10 is pretty cool, but I think its not going to revolutionize games overnight.

1) Alot of DX10 is about dropping the fixed function pipeline features in older card. This is not going to neccessarily improve what you see on the screen by itself.

2) Alot of DX10 is about standardizing the hardware support so that developers don't have to code defensively to support cards with large differences in features that are supported. Again, cool, but not going to enhance graphics as much as simplify development.

3) Alot of DX10 is about geometry shaders. OK, this is really going to improve the quality of your graphics. Seeing how it took a few generations of vertex and pixel shaders before they got those systems right, I am inclined to give geometry shaders a pass until version 2 or later.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Founding Member

Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community Shadow is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to Shadow Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow
Kamujin = smarter than shadow...geeze its always nice to know someone who knows something about DX!!!

CHECK OUT THE GAMERDNA CITY
26 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 4% Dork
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
I wouldn't put much faith in the projects that are trying toget DX10 working under XP.

Now, it's certainly within the realm of possibility. From an API standpoint, it's conceivable that someone could implement everything necessary, but I'll try and explain why it's unlikely.

I've seen some of the stuff on the Web where someone has created a DX10 API for XP that compiles and runs the SDK sample. However, there's quite a big distance between running an SDK sample and an actual game. The latter means implementing the custom shader algorithms and the really neat stuff that amounts to a lot more than stuffing DX9 APIs into a DX10 wrapper. It's for reasons like this that I'm not too confident about about seeing real DX10 games run under Windows XP--and if some do exist, I think the emulation APIs are likely to be very hit-or-miss in terms of what really runs.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Last edited by Tarinth : 04-26-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Infamous

Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Jodou is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
Wow, that was unexpected. So far it's unanimous in favor of Vista and I guess the good outweighs the bad, eh? I'd still like to hear more opinions, experiences, and facts if anyone else out there has anything to share.

"[That] Coming from a guy who more or less spawn camps a web forum. . ." -- tekhedd
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM
gamerDNA Team

Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community Tarinth is a paragon of the community
I think Vista still has a LOT of problems with games. A lot of this might be the game companies' fault, but at the end of the day, all you care about is whether your game will run.

However, you asked a specific question about running something that required DX10, and with that requirement in mind there's not really anything you can do but go with Vista.

Disruptor Beam -- Facebook RPGs
Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Newb Puller

Keerwen has set foot on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Keerwen Send a message via Yahoo to Keerwen
Kam and Tar are right on.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Blanco has set foot on a distinguished road
You could always add a Vista HD or partition to your comp and get the best of both worlds!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Infamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
I think Vista still has a LOT of problems with games. A lot of this might be the game companies' fault, but at the end of the day, all you care about is whether your game will run.

However, you asked a specific question about running something that required DX10, and with that requirement in mind there's not really anything you can do but go with Vista.
True that. This is one of the reasons I hate MS, because they pigeon-hole you into upgrading. Good for business, bad for reputation. It's not like they aren't getting my money either way for a license. . .

Old 04-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Odomus has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Odomus
Well I bought Vista Ulti... And Frainkly I took it back, nothing runs on it game wise currently with my old games. Yes they maybe old (well odler than the new ones like I guess Crysis) but a OS should still run old games ie: Freelancer, Doom3, MOO3, maybe a few Softwares to Run DoS games which run fine in WinXP but cant run in Vista. Yeh WinXP, had a few bumps but nothing big just waited for an Update that fixed the problems i was happy. But Vista 100% of the games didnt run.
ANyways I sent Vita back to M$ and got all my money back. They Apologized, and gave me my money back plus when I reorder Vista (which obviously iam gonna have to in the near future ARG), and thoes problems are fixed, I will get it for free. I guess the 13page letter explaining all the faults and problems with it helped too. But i wont be getting it for quite some time, Iam guessing 1-2years till they completely work out everything.

But as somone said above, if you need a OS that uses D10 for your Game, then yeh Vista is the way to go... I guess that is all you can do.

Media Center IMHO, Crap. I have had so many problems with it, and so has friends and family. Not updating, problems with IE, FF, and everything in general. That is one OS that will always be cruddy.

Again what I said I can only speak from experience of what happen to me, and a my opinions. Dont take this as a bash please it wasent.

-Odomus

----

----

----