11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Hello Universe!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community Animal85205 is a paragon of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryCat View Post
Lol! Is "hippen" a real word?

I can remember only one other place I've heard that word, and that was from another Animal - DJ Animal of w00t radio.

But whether you're that Animal or not, welcome to GamerDNA!
That was me. I lasted like 9 days before Jester fired me for playing too much Grateful Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishy View Post
Isn't it "What were you thinking?"

Anyway Hello and Welcome!
That's probably why it's what Dr. Phil wouldn't say. I wouldn't know, of course, because I wouldn't watch Dr. Phil.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction Svoboda is a shining beacon of illustrious distinction
I remember Jester was pretty @#$!#$%! about the DJ's playing more than one per hour from any one band, unless it was DJ 8. For some reason, 8 could get away with it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Enthusiast

BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence BlueEyesWhiteGirl is bathed in a white light of excellence
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueEyesWhiteGirl
That's because DJ 8 was doing most of Jester's work.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 AM

DJ-8 has much to be proud of
::Pulls out a wand of Raise Thread::

Wow... Been years since I was a part of W00t and apparently years since this conversation was relevant, but it's nice to see someone remembered me after I left that station.

Yeah, Jester was prone to being incredibly... "testy." He had a difficult personality to get along with, played favorites and would write DJs off that got on his bad side. It ultimately lead to a fairly toxic environment. When he gave enough crap to Krelo and a few other djs I respected to bail, I chose to resign after my Halloween show in 2006 as well.

The 1 song per band per hour rule as far as I recall was actually a legal issue that had only recently (at the time) began to be enforced on webcasters and Jester was pretty paranoid about getting fined, hence his harsh attitude towards his DJs that didn't abide by it (bear in mind he broke that rule constantly when he was spinning). The only reason I escaped his wrath was because my show was in the middle of the night, like midnight to two or two to four Pacific or something, I can't recall, and Jester was on the East coast and asleep whenever I took over which pretty much allowed me to get away with whatever the hell I wanted.

I also suspect he never checked up on me because early on I did him a major solid when W00t was chosen to dj this big City Of Heroes sponsored fan appreciation event down in San Diego with CuppaJo, Positron (Matt Miller) and Peter Molyneux in attendance. It was actually a pretty big deal for W00t, as I recall at least one other online radio station had been considered for the job. At first Jester wanted to know if any of the station DJs were local to the SoCal area and I was the only one who was and assumed I would be getting the job to do the live djing for the night. Jester had me record some station bumps and a special bump in honor of Jack Emmert/Statesman a few weeks prior to the event. So yeah, I was initially pretty thrilled.

Then I found out he intended to DJ the night himself, didn't require my services but did need me to loan him my PC so he could spin at the event since he didn't want to ship his own. He also talked me into giving him a ride to and from the event. Last I heard he never publicly gave me credit for that. At least I went to a house party and got laid that same evening so that's something!

He also would never give me an earlier time slot in spite of the fact I requested it semi-regularly, could drag in listeners at an hour no one else could, boosted listener numbers on the handful of times I got to DJ during prime time and my time slot was exhausting me (I DJ'd on my work nights).

So yeah, he was that kind of guy.

As for doing most of his work, I.... guess? I never really thought of things being like that. I did a lot of in game promotion and would go out of my way to do some fun holiday shows. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough credit.

It was a fun experience in spite of the station drama. I stepped away from DJing for several years after all that but have been considering getting my hands back in the game what with this Radionomy thing and their acquisition of WinAmp and more importantly Shoutcast.

Who knows, maybe DJ 8's Secret Society will live again....

Sleep tight, Groovy Ghoulies,

DJ 8
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has much to be proud of
This was interesting to read, but this site is pretty dead, so I'm probably the only one who read it.