11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > GamerDNA Life

Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 AM

dagamdagee is a jewel in the community
Send a message via AIM to dagamdagee Send a message via MSN to dagamdagee
Cool Mobile vs. Console gaming *The Ultimate Showdown!*
Recently I've gone completely mobile with my gaming and I've been loving it. I have a macbook (gaming wut?) ipod Touch, DS and PSP. I've been loving each one of these systems thoroughly.

I have to admit that I've gotten a little bit bored with playing on a console. I can't take it where ever, and all the games seem to be your same Burnout style racer, Space Marine Shooter or super scary sh*t a cat style of game.

Sure, there are titles like Little Big Planet, but I don't have a PS3 and don't really want to get one at this point.

I'm currently juggling Mecho Wars on my iphone, Chrono Trigger on my DS and Jeanne D'Arc on my PSP. I love mobile gaming because I can sit down and play wherever and whenever, and I can just sink 10 to 20 minutes and then go on and do something else.

I want to know what you like about console and portable gaming? Can one rule over the other? Will console remain king, or will portable come through as the under dog? I want you to decide

Just like the Ghosts.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Savant

mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community mykalgaidin is a paragon of the community
Send a message via AIM to mykalgaidin Send a message via Yahoo to mykalgaidin
I love both. I regularly play all three of my major consoles as well as my PSP, DS, and I game quite often on my iPhone. I think there's room for both, as long as one makes room for them. I also game on my Macbook, although it's kind of limited to WoW, various Blizzard games, and the Mystery Case Files series. They just don't make a tremendous number of games for OSX.

As for console games, there is far more than the genres you listed. Prototype, inFamous, L4D, Magic: The Gathering (LIVE), Street Fighter IV, tons of different sports games (I've been rocking Top Spin 3 lately), racing sims (Forza 3 comes out soon, I believe), kart racers, adventure games (Sam & Max was recently put up on LIVE, and Secret of Monkey Island is on the way), Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (KICK ASS!), Final Fantasy XIII, God of War 3, Metroid: Other M (DoA meets Samus Aran), I could go on. The point is, if you take a bit to look, chances are you'll find something to occupy your console and your time.

For sh*ts and giggles, here's what's currently eating up my free time:
Xbox 360: Left 4 Dead
PS3: MGS4
Wii: Metroid Prime 3 and Madworld
PSP: Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
DS: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
iPhone: Vampires:Bloodlust
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM

redknightalex is a jewel in the community redknightalex is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to redknightalex
Mobile gaming can sometimes lack the depth (and, more often than not, the controls) of console or pc gaming. I love my PSP and DS, play a lot of games on them, but I usually have more quibbles with them than the other games I play on my consoles/pc. And I tend to stay away from FPSs or other similar games that really require two analogue sticks on a handheld. They hurt my hands and my brain. Usually the games that work best on mobiles are RPGs. That way when I get bored with commercials on TV I can pick up my PSP or DS and play.

As for games on my phone I just don't care. At all. For me that's not really gaming. Then again, I don't have an iPhone (just another new, similar phone by LG) so I could be biased.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Razor-I is community member of note
I haven't had any interest in mobile gaming since I got over Pokemon how ever many years ago. I've yet to find a game on a mobile device that has been the least bit interesting. I don't really care for PC games either for the most part. I have like 5 RTSs on my computer that I never play. Looks like I'm just destined to play console games forever. (Unless a really, really good MMO comes out for PC)

Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM

LeftyRedbeard has set foot on a distinguished road
Until my sofa becomes mobile I'm sticking to console gaming... I've got it fitting my crack just right.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

ravenfan38 has much to be proud of
looking
i dont know i just dont like to play games on a mobile device - i would much rather have and keep my ps3 and i cant wait until the new playstation comes out given that i am out i cant drive and play games at the same time and i really dont like angry birds - i am more of a console type of guy and would rather just keep my ps3 and get the new one when it comes out but i do believe that the new playstation will be able to play disks but i think once you put the disk in it reads some kind of code then downloads it to the console and then the disk is no longer needed - and plus you can play used games as well as ps3 games that you can stream but it looks good and much better than the new xbox at the moment if the new palystation can play used games then the xbox has to follow or they will lose sales
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 AM

ShadowDDX has much to be proud of
Within your last question of who will dominate I think that both in chair gaming and mobile gaming have their place within our lives. Mobile gaming = more bite sized gaming, and consoles/PC with their higher horsepower provide more room for hardcore gaming session. I think the better and better consoles get, the more and more they flow towards resembling a gaming PC. I mean that's basically what consoles are. Non-upgrade-able PCs. The same thing with the PSPs and Nintendo devices, I believe they will slowly be phased out by tablets and cell phones with equal if not better capabilities. Why? Because of convenience and accessibility of games.

On both consoles you depend on developers, publishers and companies to work amongst themselves to bring you the games you love and cherish. But Cell phones and PCs give developers a more open more world wide medium of work. I mean if you think about it most people own a cell phone and a computer. You skip the middleman (having to buy a specialized console) in order to get the gaming experience.

The only thing that can keep consoles alive is offering a *different* experience from what has already been created. For example the Kinect and Move and working the accelerometer on phones and PSP gave gamers an experience that was not previously available, therefore reviving the love of gaming for some and bringing in a totally new crowd into the pool of customers.