11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Support

Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 AM

wclapham has much to be proud of
Bartle Test
Hi. I'm a researcher working in Game-Based Learning and have a couple questions regarding the Bartle Test and i have no idea who to contact. (Sorry if it doesnt belong here.)

First, I was wondering if there exists an offline version of the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology with questions and scoring formula?

Second, I'm wondering, from a legal/copyright standpoint if it's possible to administer an offline version of the test for educational purposes? I'm very interested in using the Bartle Test (i am not interested in the existing data from previous tests, just the test) as an argument in favor of the multiple paths students can take in collaborative learning environments.

-will
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Anyone?

I sent an email about this to support as well, but after 3 weeks, i have still not received any response. And since GamerDNA is the sole keeper/maintainer of the Bartle Test at this point, i have nowhere else to turn.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 PM

rcrajaravichandran01 has much to be proud of
wclapham

Uncle google might help you..

Since you are working of Gaming Project you may have played many Games. Play all kind games. If you want to make a better "Bartle" initially you might have own questions and find out the answers your self. If not Go and play online games make some gamers has friends. They will give you various answers for your questions..

P.S: Gamers are unpredictable hahahaha
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

To fill in a few gaps: Yes, i'm an avid gamer. I'm close to 40 and I've played games since i could first drop a quarter in the slot. I also spent 10+ years as an artist/level designer for numerous game companies before leaving the commercial industry and going into the educational media field.

The main reason i am interested in the Bartle Test specifically, is it's longevity and reputation. I'm not looking to build a better Bartle Test... But, rather, i'd like the ability to administer the test myself in an offline (non-GamerDNA) setting. Why?, you may ask... because i want self-described "non-gamers" to be exposed to it in a classroom and out of context.

Unfortunately, Uncle Google was of very little help. I found that the search results broke down into roughly these categories:
1) Direct link here to the test here on GamerDNA
2) Link to wikipedia or an academic article - which gives a brief description and offers a link to take the test here on GamerDNA.
3) Forum/Blog posts talking about and comparing results - and offering a link to take the test on GamerDNA.
4) Academic articles criticizing the Bartle Test and proposing an alternative - good info, but not helpful since i am specifically interested in Bartle
5) References or Links to Richard Bartle's original 1996 paper describing the 4 Player Types

I have poured over search results time and again in hopes of finding some reference to the scoring formula involved in the Bartle Test, but i keep hitting a dead end. Since the original Bartle Test was created by Erwin Andreasen + Brandon Downey around the end of 1999, it's hosting location has switched hands a couple times until the test had it's wording modernized and finally found it's current home here.

I was hoping to get some information from GamerDNA on the test since they are the ONLY current host of the test and (according to Good 'Ol Uncle Google), are the de-facto, go-to experts on it. Unfortunately...nobody 'official' from GamerDNA has responded to me, so i may have to track down the original test creators and cross my fingers if nothing else turns up.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM

rcrajaravichandran01 has much to be proud of
hmmm seems you have made a lot of research on it, what exactly you been looking for, bartle test questions or complete structure of bartle test??

anyways ****GOOD LUCK **** with your research. Hope you create a good "Bartle Test" similar to Gdna
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM

thanks. yes, i've done a fair amount of research so far.

i have a list of all the questions, and i understand the format of the test completely. But what i dont have access to is the scoring formula. i don't think it would be too hard to reverse engineer if i ran thru the test a few dozen times, but i'd rather know the right way from the beginning.

also, and more importantly, i'm wanting someone official from GamerDNA or a parent company, to tell me if there is any legal reason why i would not be able to administer an offline version of the test?

anyway,
thanks for the good wishes.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM

goodone is a jewel in the community
Send a message via Yahoo to goodone Send a message via Skype™ to goodone
i would love to see admins address this question... anyone?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM

eliotdamian has much to be proud of
Bartle Test Formula
Hi,

Myself and a colleague are facing the same problem at the moment. We're doing a reverse engineering of the results as, like you, we simply couldn't dig up anything about the scoring system.

Be good to see where you got to with this. I'm a psychotherapist looking to make more use of games in my counselling work. I've got 36 responses to the Bartle test which I'm mathing up against another 4 quadrant model.

I don't think I can post a link on here so excuse the funny way I write this, but contact me on:

info AT counselling-brighton.co.uk

See if we can help eachother.

Ciaran.