11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > gamerDNA.com > Hello Universe!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 AM

TalariaWingfoot has much to be proud of
Luv Glitch and Kingdom of Loathing player
Sadly, Glitch is closing on December 9, 2012, leaving nearly 200K players without a home. Glitch has been an amazing game, tremendously imaginative and interactive, friendly, with realistic yet imaginative graphics and movement and activities, impossible to describe, you have to experience it. Players have bonded tightly and contributed imagination to the max in shaping the game, very social, sharing, no war, no weapons, no griefing, play as much and as long as you want whenever you want, no time limitations, and lots of ways to add necessary iMG (imagination) and mood to keep going.
I play Kingdom of Loathing and love it, but it's not for everyone, and it's a turncount-limited game, especially during early levels, plus there's clans plus a few general forums, not like Glitch where you could move all over the virtual world and meet anyone and everyone in your travels.
I'm Talaria Wingfoot on Glitch and norsegodofmischief on Kingdom of Loathing.
Glitchies are now tossing out suggestions for games where we can stay together as online gaming buddies. The game has/had several thousand players, while my Civility Group within Glitch has/had over 400 members, and we'd love to find a new home game.
Ideas, suggestions? Must be intelligent, adult in a good way, friendly, very social as well as a wide variety of quests, crafting, etc. to do separately and together.
Last edited by TalariaWingfoot : 11-25-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

WILDMAMMOTH has much to be proud of
Well, I'm sorry that Game I've Never Even Heard Mentioned is closing down. I hope that Other Obscure MMO works out for you.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 AM

Thanks for responding, WildMammoth. That "Other Obscure MMO" (Kingdom of Loathing) has been around since January 31, 2003, as a completely free browser-based MMORPG and is still doing just fine.
There's been a lot of different games suggested as possible replacements for Glitch, but either they're warbased (like WoW) or virtual reality mimicking RL (like Second Life and Onverse) or kiddie pet-caretaker games for the most part.
Oh, well, the search has been intriguing anyway.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast

You should just try to find something new that you enjoy. Unfortunately, when online communities break down, it is nearly impossible to keep the home crew together. I've gone through this before, though not with an MMO. It happened with the NSider forums (The official Nintendo Power forums) back in 2007. Lots of people tried preserving that group, but nothing worked 100%. Though NSider 2 was a good effort, we still lost the thing that brought the original community together in the first place. I imagine that it must be an even bigger problem for an MMO, since each particular game won't appeal to everybody.

It sucks, but sometimes it better to only worry about yourself and start over someplace new.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM

True, WildMammoth, and you've helped me refocus on a different side of the problem. For now, I'll concentrate on Kingdom of Loathing and the Glitch players I know who were already playing KoL along with Glitch or who have mirated to KoL since Glitch is closing. As you said, no matter how much you want to stay cohesive, the reason for the community's creation and continuation no longer exists. Just glanced at your Activity bar and see "229 Games". Clearly you have considerable experience with online player movement in and between games and the multitude of reasons players join and drop out of various games and communities that form and come apart within a game's structure.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Well, the vast majority of those games are single player, and while I own all of them, it's actually more about collecting them than about playing them. But I really do have more experience than I'd like to have when it comes to online communities collapsing.