11/DEC/13

Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!

Forums top   gamerDNA.com Forums > Gaming > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM

fengzi597 has much to be proud of
What's most important in a good game?
http://news.mmosite.com/content/q/20...layers_1.shtml

Quote:
For players who are fastidious about character modules, they don't want to have a shot at the game with rough graphics and ugly characters, even though the gameplay is really wonderful. In this sense, it is the most important to capture players' hearts at their first sight of the game.

Are you kidding me? Aesthetics including graphics and character design is only an added plus, which is definitely not the most important thing in a good game. They may seem nice at first, but that doesn't really affect the fun of the game. Even more, many games with good aesthetics are just Apple of Sodom, such as Crysis, Mass Effect, and Far Cry 2. In addition, sometimes excellent graphics are a double sided sword, coz players have to get a high hardware to run it.

Gameplay obviously comes first! It is the core structure of the game as a whole. If the main concept of the game doesn't work or isn't fun, it will totally ruin the game. Aesthetic will only get you so far if the gameplay is absolute shit. I won’t play any boring games even I like the way they look. And I used to have a lot of fun with some games with nice gameplay and bad graphics, such as Minecraft and Runescape.

In short, gameplay is far more important than Aesthetics. If the gameplay is good, then who the hell cares about the aesthetics.

Furthmore, below's my top 4 things that I look for in a good game.
1. Gameplay (According to what I have said above).
2. Storyline (A lot of games are very popular due to their great storyline, which makes me wanna play through the game again).
3. Aesthetics (Great graphics and art style will make a game better, but which is not the main point).
4. Sound (Without doubt, it is the least important).

What do you think is most important in a good game?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM

Does anyone wanna talk about this topic?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM

planktonx has much to be proud of
I agree, gameplay takes precedence for sure. To this day I still play Diablo 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic III, and they do not look good. If what that article said was true then games like Too Human would be incredibly successful. And we all know how that ended up.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM

SirHumphreyIV has much to be proud of
I would agree that I, personally, think gameplay is the most important part of any/every game. However, for the most part, in order for *any* game to be successful, they have to have fairly great and modern graphics. This is mainly for when it comes to advertising. Without good graphics, many people would just overlook the game, thinking it sucks because "If the graphics look like that, the game as a whole must be terrible!" many may think.

1. Gameplay 60%
2. Story 25%
3. Sound 10%
4. Graphics 5%
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 AM

Rinytinsin has much to be proud of
I agree graphics and sound should be bottom, but that doesn't stop kids online crying their eyes out when they have to turn graphics down! Anyway I think hype is also a factor to a good game. You may say you don't let the reviews bias your opinion bit what about your friends reviews. I know, some of the elite will claim to be immune but if I get into a game without an open mind because of what someone says, especially if I trust that persons judgement, the game is sunk.
Edit vice versa too don't expect to much a lot of people did with diablo 3.
Last edited by Rinytinsin : 05-21-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 AM

Thumbs up true
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonx View Post
I agree, gameplay takes precedence for sure. To this day I still play Diablo 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic III, and they do not look good. If what that article said was true then games like Too Human would be incredibly successful. And we all know how that ended up.
Yep, totally true!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHumphreyIV View Post
I would agree that I, personally, think gameplay is the most important part of any/every game. However, for the most part, in order for *any* game to be successful, they have to have fairly great and modern graphics. This is mainly for when it comes to advertising. Without good graphics, many people would just overlook the game, thinking it sucks because "If the graphics look like that, the game as a whole must be terrible!" many may think.

1. Gameplay 60%
2. Story 25%
3. Sound 10%
4. Graphics 5%
Yep, graphics is important to attract gamers at first. But it doesn't mean it is the most important part in a good time. Gameplay will let gamers keep playing the game.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Burt81 has much to be proud of
To me gameplay and graphics matter much but at the same time it's rather useless without a good intriguing story in the game and the the player's being involved in it.
That's why I like RPG a lot for having a chance to follow a non-linear events and reach several different outcomes.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 AM

Mackenzi has much to be proud of
I think graphics are still a factor to me, because I really like games with interesting styles. It doesn't have to be super-realistic (I am gonna be glad when photorealism is no longer the #1 goal of designers) but a game has to look appealing, cool, funny, scary, etc. It's important to set the mood of the game, which is another important factor for me.
The story is also important for me, or at least the concept behind the game. It can have fun gameplay, but if it looks crappy and/or it is shallow and pointless it won't hold my interest once the novelty wears off.

If I had to order things:
1) Story/concept above all else
2) Graphics
3) Gameplay

I'd probably put graphics and gameplay on the same level, actually.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM

DarkDreamerDom has much to be proud of
I don't think anyone would disagree with this, even to the point of - if we openly force the aesthetics to be grotesque, the game could be considered 'stylistic' or 'artistic'.

And sometimes a lack of realism is perfect for the gameplay, it can even enhance the experience - I'm talking games like Slender: The 8 Pages here, where the archaic visuals add layers of creepiness to the game.